Houston New IG Gunite Pool - Uneven Plaster Color - Comments are appreciated.

It has been 3 months since the plaster was installed in our pool. For acid washing, the crew showed up late that day, and their job (acid washing) took until it got dark. After filling the pool with water, I noticed the uneven color in some areas of the pool bottom. I talked to the builder and he said "the plaster cures for 30 days and brushing helps." IT DIDN'T. After 1.5 months, the builder added about 10 gallons acid into the pool and brushed the area to fix the uneven color. But it wasn't fixed. The builder said that he would talk to the plaster company about it but I doubt he has done. Considering that the acid washing was done at the end of day and it was finished after the sunset, I don't know whether the color is really because of bad acid washing job or not. I am wondering if I should push the builder on it? The good thing I haven't paid him the last payment yet. But I don't know what is the best action for this issue. I don't want the builder change the chemical balance of the pool and damage the equipment (pumps and heater) by adding again a large amount of acid to the pool . And I am not sure if it is a good decision to drain 13000 gallons of water and acid wash the pool again (in case he proposes)? I appreciate any solution or comment.
@ajw22, @mknauss, @jimmythegreek, @setsailsoon, @Texas Splash, @Jimrahbe, @Stoopalini, @YippeeSkippy, @kimkats, @MyAZPool, @Dirk, @zea3, @JoyfulNoise, @Richard320, @JamesW, @Bama Rambler

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70
Dark plaster tends to have variations in color. I doubt they will chip out and replaster so you need to decide to live with it I believe.

Have the plaster finish lightly sanded and polished with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Most plasterers have power sanders that can do it.

I strongly suggest that you push for this remedy as opposed to any acid treatments, which can make matters worse, such as making the surface rougher and perhaps cause additional discolorations that generally develop afterwards.

The pool will need to be drained to sand the pool. It can be done before winter sets in, or can wait until next spring safely.

Last edited:
I agree with Allen 100% acid wash is not what you want. Wont change anything may make it worst. Dark colors are tough to have even usually some splotchy happens. That's on the heavy side with variation, a sanding will blend the colors amd wont look splotchy if done right

Have the plaster finish lightly sanded and polished with 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Most plasterers have power sanders that can do it.

I strongly suggest that you push for this remedy as opposed to any acid treatments, which can make matters worse, such as making the surface rougher and perhaps cause additional discolorations that generally develop afterwards.

The pool will need to be drained to sand the pool. It can be done before winter sets in, or can wait until next spring safely.
@ajw22 Thank you, Allen, for your comment. May I ask why you said "before winter sets in"? Did you say because of rain and snow? or any other reason? I don't think we have will have rain in Houston during the winter.

@ajw22 Thank you, Allen, for your comment. May I ask why you said "before winter sets in"? Did you say because of rain and snow? or any other reason? I don't think we have will have rain in Houston during the winter.

You know your pools environment better then I do.

My advice would be to bypass the pool builder if he continues to be non responsive and contact MMG directly. They are 1 of 2 certified Pebble Sheen installers in the area. If you don't get a desired response contact Pebble Tec directly. IMHO, this is unacceptable and bad aide fixes would not be satisfactory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.