Hot tub

That's what I was thinking. I really dont understand why they don't want someone using it. It's not like you'd be dumping it in willy nilly. Itd have to be carefully measured since it's such a small body of water.
Just don’t pour it on the shell & it will be fine. Same with MA. As you already know.
The industry is concerned with liability mostly- not with your hot tub living longer. If u dump sulfates & low ph chems in the skimmer they will just gladly sell u a new heater in a few years right outside of warranty or better yet a new spa!

Reactions: Casey and Newdude
My tub is full. I'm going to do a full set of test results and add CYA and some FC. Manual said to make adjustments on cold water. Should I wait to heat it up when the CYa is fully dissolved or can I go ahead?

Did u purge yet?
The packet might be enough to do one time. Then u will just dump that water & refill so no need to balance anything other than adding a little fc.
If you’re gonna wait to purge - the cya should do fine in the cold water & its fine to turn the temp up - the cold adjustments only is a weird suggestion.
After today the water will be hot - are u not ever supposed to add anything again 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Newdude
Hi Casey: Just so you are aware, Nordic includes a "single use: Ahh-Some Plumbing Purge with their hot tubs. Nordic recognizes the fact that biofilms can be present in new or nearly new hot tubs and has been proactive in bringing attention to this issue with new deliveries. You have made a great decision with the NORDIC purchase. We have been dealing with them and many of their dealers in America and Europe. Find the packet and use it. If you need further instructions just proceed to the Nordic or Ahhsome website.

So
Hi Casey: Just so you are aware, Nordic includes a "single use: Ahh-Some Plumbing Purge with their hot tubs. Nordic recognizes the fact that biofilms can be present in new or nearly new hot tubs and has been proactive in bringing attention to this issue with new deliveries. You have made a great decision with the NORDIC purchase. We have been dealing with them and many of their dealers in America and Europe. Find the packet and use it. If you need further instructions just proceed to the Nordic or Ahhsome website.
I should use the ahhhsome first n dump the water? What if I don't? Will it hurt anything?

Did u purge yet?
The packet might be enough to do one time. Then u will just dump that water & refill so no need to balance anything other than adding a little fc.
If you’re gonna wait to purge - the cya should do fine in the cold water & its fine to turn the temp up - the cold adjustments only is a weird suggestion.
After today the water will be hot - are u not ever supposed to add anything again 🤷‍♀️
I did not. Am I supposed to? Even though this is an ozone system, the instruction manual says the I should still be adding FC up to 4ppm instead of up to 5ppm with a regular chlorine system so it's still is chlorinated.

I did not. Am I supposed to? Even though this is an ozone system, the instruction manual says the I should still be adding FC up to 4ppm instead of up to 5ppm with a regular chlorine system so it's still is chlorinated.

I run my FC at whatever pool math says based on my CYA levels. I may even cheat it a little higher. The ozone (I have an intermittent ozone system as well) is going to burn off some of the FC.

You need FC with the ozone.

As @RDspaguy said, once your spa is closed, there is not much in the way of new contaminants that are going to get in there. My routine is mainly have clean water, get in the tub and soak, get our and add 2 oz of bleach. cover the tub. The FC from the bleach kills whatever came off of my body into the tub, the ozone then burns off the resulting CC. The tub is now sanitized and sealed (for the most part). Most days I check the CC and pH, just for fun, and maybe I add an ounce or 2 of bleach, but sometimes I skip a day. When I do that, my FC may be low (1.5 ppm or so) but it is still there, and the CC is 0.

In my experience pH / TA is something I need to adjust pretty often, even when I think I have them dialed in. I found a digital pH meter to be invaluable, compared to the comparator block. It is much faster, and allegedly more accurate. My tub likes to use a lot of acid.

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the Ahh-Some just prior to your very first drain and refill. You may want to go a month or so and see the water chemistry results and then do the purge and drain. Maintaining 4 ppm of free chlorine residual is fine, albeit 2-3 should be your target aim. You need to get yourself a reliable test kit so you can receive accurate results. The test kit offered on this forum is fantastic.

Attachments

• Ahh-Some Single Use Packet.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
You can use the Ahh-Some just prior to your very first drain and refill. You may want to go a month or so and see the water chemistry results and then do the purge and drain. Maintaining 4 ppm of free chlorine residual is fine, albeit 2-3 should be your target aim. You need to get yourself a reliable test kit so you can receive accurate results. The test kit offered on this forum is fantastic.
I use a TF Pro Salt kit for my pool already.

Casey,
I don’t like the idea of having biofilms from the get go - i feel like it complicates spa care by likely introducing even more of a chlorine demand, especially when you are trying to figure out the nuances of a spa for the 1st time. So I vote to purge immediately, start out clean as a whistle, maintain fc properly & then get to know your true baseline. Overtime baseline/standby demand will rise due to dissolved solids building up in the water but at least u will have an idea of where clean was.
I don’t care what any of the mineral thingies or ozone systems claim- I would follow the FC/CYA Levels at all times. They are just extra fluff that u can take or leave but adequate sanitizer is priority.
The bather load ratio is so much more extreme in such a small body of water - it can take some time getting used to the fluctuations. All the things u already know about sanitary water hold true to a hot tub.
So long as u test often & respect the chlorine demand then dose accordingly it will be fine.

Casey,
I don’t like the idea of having biofilms from the get go - i feel like it complicates spa care by likely introducing even more of a chlorine demand, especially when you are trying to figure out the nuances of a spa for the 1st time. So I vote to purge immediately, start out clean as a whistle, maintain fc properly & then get to know your true baseline. Overtime baseline/standby demand will rise due to dissolved solids building up in the water but at least u will have an idea of where clean was.
I don’t care what any of the mineral thingies or ozone systems claim- I would follow the FC/CYA Levels at all times. They are just extra fluff that u can take or leave but adequate sanitizer is priority.
The bather load ratio is so much more extreme in such a small body of water - it can take some time getting used to the fluctuations. All the things u already know about sanitary water hold true to a hot tub.
So long as u test often & respect the chlorine demand then dose accordingly it will be fine.
Well... I'll purge it tomorrow but tonight these old bones are getting into the tub n I dont care if it's got biofilms. I put chlorine in it. :mrgreen:

Please go in the tub and enjoy it. Keep us posted on how the purge has gone.
The packet I got... is that all o need to do one purge? It doesn't look like much Ahhsome. Stuff must be good.

Attachments

• 20220517_180935.jpg
    20220517_180935.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 5
The packet I got... is that all o need to do one purge? It doesn't look like much Ahhsome. Stuff must be good.
No, it's ahhsome (sorry, couldn't resist).

Yes, one packet is good for one purge. Some here have had to do multiple purges to get all the biofilm and junk out.

Most do a purge every time they drain and refill. A drain/refill every 2-3 months is not unheard of. If you haven't already, order some Ahhsome to have on hand.

I do a purge, drain, refill every 6months (right around pool opening/closing) - i am currently a month late ⏰ so its been 7 months. May do mine tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.