Anderson, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Plan to replace a C-4950 Sundance Hot Tub filter. Which are the best? How long should they last? Worst part about these filters is it is difficult to remove the filter cleaners. Any suggestions on Filter Cleaners that are nuetralized easily? I am thinking this may be where a lot of suds come from.
Thank you.

I just hose my filters off then throw them in the tub when purging with Ahhsome & rinse them afterwards.
Inbetween purges I just hose them off, no cleaner.

I don’t have the same tub as you but I like the Clarathon replacement filter even better than my original.
My tub is coming up on 4 years old & I still have the original & the supplemental Clarathon one. I just rotate them.

I have three filters I rotate. They are 9 years old and still look pretty clean. Do filters have a life expectancy? I do hose them down between cleaning and water changes.

I have three filters I rotate. They are 9 years old and still look pretty clean. Do filters have a life expectancy? I do hose them down between cleaning and water changes.
Kudos for the good care you're giving your spa. Nine years is an exceptionally long life for filter cartridges in a portable (above-ground) spa. In a high-use spa they may only last a year. Cleaners designed for pool or spa filters are, usually, formulated to not suds. Most of the foam in a spa is the result of body oils and perspiration mixing with the water. There are de-foamers for spas that are available. They are, usually, a silicone based liquid that keeps the foam from forming.

Reactions: SummerLoverNan
Anti-Foam . . . since you mentioned it: I tend to think prolonged use of them just messes up the filtering. Water is grey while jets are on. I usually only allow it to go on for just a week or two and then drain the hot tub. Is this resonable?

Anti-Foam . . . since you mentioned it: I tend to think prolonged use of them just messes up the filtering. Water is grey while jets are on. I usually only allow it to go on for just a week or two and then drain the hot tub. Is this resonable?
They shouldn't be used unless needed, not on a regular basis. A good guideline for spa-water changes is found here, its a formula based on bather load :

I hear good things about the product Mdragger88 mentioned, Ahhsome. It cleans the entire circulation system and may be what you need in a spa that age.

Reactions: SummerLoverNan
I have never used or needed anti foaming potions. I have also never had grey water…
I simply follow this guide
👇 & test frequently with my tf100

Grey water sounds 🤢 - I personally wouldn’t be having that for weeks before purging & refilling. It means something isn’t right. Unless you’re referring to foaming? In that case having ch somewhere around 100-150 can help with that.

I bought my second set of filters from Guardian Filtration. They are clearly of a lower quality than Bullfrog ones. They are less sturdy - however they do the job just fine and were a lot cheaper. I would get them again.

I do the same thing as @Mdragger88 - When purging with AhhSome I take my filters out of the filter well, and throw them in the middle of the tub during the purge. I then hose them off. Once a week I pull the filters and give them a rinse with plain water.

Every so often (maybe 2x a year for each set of filters I have) I fill a 5 gallon bucket with warm water and OxiClean, stick the filters in and let them soak for an hour or so, and then rinse them out.

I keep my Calcium Hardness around 300, I find that keeps the AquaClarity I use weekly from foaming excessively.

The only other time I had foaming is when people with freshly laundered bathing suits (that clearly were not rinsed well) used the hot tub. I did use a commercial defoamer to help with that, as it was about 2 weeks after a water change. I hated using it, it put a sort of slick on the water. I still have a 95% full bottle of it.

Grey water is a little scary to be honest. If my water turned grey I would change it before using my tub.

I have had a few slightly cloudy/foaming incidents with guest’s bathing suits from either laundry detergent or fabric softener & hair conditioner (from tween girls who soak their long hair in the tub)
Elevated fc & rinsing the filter took care of it every time. I now instruct the girls to put their hair up & not to dunk in the tub. It’s too small for that anyway, if you wanna swim get in the pool. I know, I know…. I’m just a party pooper!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.