Hot Tub Cover strap for Hurricanes / high winds

eco-help

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I did a search but didn't see anything specific to this.. I understand the cover clips won't handle much wind.

I am thinking of using a strap that can wrap around the entire hot tub. Does anyone have any thoughts or solution for this?

Thanks!

You can have someone come out, measure, and have one made from hurricane fabric. I have them for all my windows. But, you would have to live with stainless thread bosses for the screws that bolt them down. Having never seen such other than on windows and doors, I don't know if it would have to be bolted to deck and over, or if it could be bolted to coping face. But, the fabric can be sewn into any shape you want. If it's a stand-alone hot tub, what it sits on is what would have to be bolted down to.

You can have someone come out, measure, and have one made from hurricane fabric. I have them for all my windows. But, you would have to live with stainless thread bosses for the screws that bolt them down. Having never seen such other than on windows and doors, I don't know if it would have to be bolted to deck and over, or if it could be bolted to coping face. But, the fabric can be sewn into any shape you want. If it's a stand-alone hot tub, what it sits on is what would have to be bolted down to.
Thanks - it is a stand alone hot tub sitting on the pool deck. I figured if a strap was completely wrapped around the hot tube the weight of it (filled) would prevent movements, but the fabric/bolted to deck sounds like a solid solution.

Thanks - it is a stand alone hot tub sitting on the pool deck. I figured if a strap was completely wrapped around the hot tube the weight of it (filled) would prevent movements, but the fabric/bolted to deck sounds like a solid solution.
The fabric will not tear. It's more designed for head on wind, so with cross-ways load of wind, it would probably need to be secured to deck - they do a bolt/screw about every 6 inches. But, your idea of a ratchet strap surrounding would be a good additional. Might call one of the local companies and see what they can sew for you.

The fabric will not tear. It's more designed for head on wind, so with cross-ways load of wind, it would probably need to be secured to deck - they do a bolt/screw about every 6 inches. But, your idea of a ratchet strap surrounding would be a good additional. Might call one of the local companies and see what they can sew for you.
Got it, but bolts 6 inches aprat would likely be a daily injury risk with people walking into them, kicking/stubbing their toes and then there is the aesthetics.... meaning I am getting major kickback on the bolt to deck idea :(

Got it, but bolts 6 inches aprat would likely be a daily injury risk with people walking into them, kicking/stubbing their toes and then there is the aesthetics.... meaning I am getting major kickback on the bolt to deck idea :(
Only if they used the studs with wingnuts, which is what I have for window because it's easier to hang-hold on the studs as I install. One big window sheet weighs about 40 lbs. You would want the threaded insert option. It's a smooth, flush, stainless steel insert that accepts a flat capscrew through the cover eyelet to bolt down. When not in use, the screw stores in the insert, so all you see is the top of the screw, flush: Hurricane Hardware Kit Stainless Steel Phillips Combo Drive + Anchors & Set Tool | eBay

Only if they used the studs with wingnuts, which is what I have for window because it's easier to hang-hold on the studs as I install. One big window sheet weighs about 40 lbs. You would want the threaded insert option. It's a smooth, flush, stainless steel insert that accepts a flat capscrew through the cover eyelet to bolt down. When not in use, the screw stores in the insert, so all you see is the top of the screw, flush: Hurricane Hardware Kit Stainless Steel Phillips Combo Drive + Anchors & Set Tool | eBay
Oh I think I know what you mean the threaded insert / bolt is in the deck.. but being flush it can't be hit.. yeah that's what you said I think....

40lbs weight on the hot tub cover? That would damage the cover wouldn't it?

Sorry I am trying to grasp this and not too mechanical so I find it hard to visualize.

Thanks for your help, much appreciate it...

You are talking a concrete deck, correct. Just get the same things they use to secure safety covers. One in the center of each side of the tub. Use them to secure it with two ratchet straps - one in each direction.

You are talking a concrete deck, correct. Just get the same things they use to secure safety covers. One in the center of each side of the tub. Use them to secure it with two ratchet straps - one in each direction.
That would take care of high winds, but hurricane force would turn that into shredded matter. It's as much about securing even the smallest loose edges as it is durability of the cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would take care of high winds, but hurricane force would turn that into shredded matter. It's as much about securing even the smallest loose edges as it is durability of the cover.

It's a matter of looking at the weakest link in the system.

A 2" ratchet strap is be rated for a least 1,000 lbs, usually a lot more. His tub is 3,000 or so. So if it gets to the point that the straps are going to break, the tub is already almost airborne.

The cover will likely fail long before the straps do.

I would be more concerned about concrete anchors failing. They are designed more to resist lateral forces, as opposed to uplift. I'm not sure would attach the straps to the spa itself. At the very least, I would avoid the side skins and attach to the lower frame, but Bullfrog is an all composite spa. Great for not corroding, but who knows it's strength, especially with point loads.

If the OP wants to stop wind from getting under the cover, the stuff they sell to secure ABG covers, that is like a giant roll of Saran Wrap might be useful.

I think I will need both (wind and hurricane protection) then, thank you for pointing that out. Makes perfect sense now that you mention this :)

I have a concrete guy coming out today so I will ask him what he suggests... it will have to be aesthetic and functional too..

It's a matter of looking at the weakest link in the system.

A 2" ratchet strap is be rated for a least 1,000 lbs, usually a lot more. His tub is 3,000 or so. So if it gets to the point that the straps are going to break, the tub is already almost airborne.

The cover will likely fail long before the straps do.

I would be more concerned about concrete anchors failing. They are designed more to resist lateral forces, as opposed to uplift. I'm not sure would attach the straps to the spa itself. At the very least, I would avoid the side skins and attach to the lower frame, but Bullfrog is an all composite spa. Great for not corroding, but who knows it's strength, especially with point loads.

If the OP wants to stop wind from getting under the cover, the stuff they sell to secure ABG covers, that is like a giant roll of Saran Wrap might be useful.
Thanks, I understand maybe not concrete anchors then. I think somewhat of a balance is needed, I can't account for all hurricanes; mostly high winds with the occasional lower level hurricane is my guess. Much more and I have bigger concerns :(

In the event of a big storm coming, quality duct tape (aka 100 MPH tape in the military) would work well securing the seams so they deflected the wind instead of grabbing it like a parachute.

Depending on the quality/age of the cover, the duct tape may take some cover with it when you rip it off. Could you sew a sacrificial lip to the cover ? Just a couple of inches or dense fabric or strap material that could take the adhesives of the duct tape?

Or what about a ratchet strap around the flaps like a belt, and then strap the cover itself down.

Thanks, I understand maybe not concrete anchors then. I think somewhat of a balance is needed, I can't account for all hurricanes; mostly high winds with the occasional lower level hurricane is my guess. Much more and I have bigger concerns :(

I was concerned about pool cover anchors, because those are epoxy in, and they are made to resist sideways forces. Seismic rated wedge concrete anchors, such as RedHeads 5/8" SS Red Head should work. These have both tensile and shear strength of over 7,000 lb in 4,000 psi concrete. You may have to come up with something to get them flush with the surface when you don't have something attached to them.

8 Red Heads, four 2" ratchet straps (2 in each direction), and a couple of wraps of pallet wrap -The good heavy duty kind and I would think you are good to go

I was concerned about pool cover anchors, because those are epoxy in, and they are made to resist sideways forces. Seismic rated wedge concrete anchors, such as RedHeads 5/8" SS Red Head should work. These have both tensile and shear strength of over 7,000 lb in 4,000 psi concrete. You may have to come up with something to get them flush with the surface when you don't have something attached to them.

8 Red Heads, four 2" ratchet straps (2 in each direction), and a couple of wraps of pallet wrap -The good heavy duty kind and I would think you are good to go
The ratchet straps and pallet wrap sound perfect.. I assume pallet wrap the top to bottom (as far down as possible) and then ratchet straps to hold that all down? I havent used ratchet straps - would they dig into the corner of the cover and damage it as it is ratched down?

The concrete anchors - challenge would indeed be figuring out how to make them flush, looks like a higher risk accident / liability concern than the wind issue... also I would need to be sure the concrete had the higher psi rating... I can check on that.

Thanks!

Red Heads should be able to be set flush.

But then he would have to thread and un-thread a bolt into them each time he wanted to use them as a hold down. I would worry about dirt collecting in them, or the threads getting chowdered up.

I was thinking something the lines of recessing them, and leaving a D-ring attached to them, or something like that. If you put them close enough to the hot tub though, they should not be a tripping hazard. You could even install eye bolts permanently and make some sort of decorative removable cover out of composite material so they don't show.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.