Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good morning,
Unfortunately, I opened to a lime green pool this year. I want to start my SLAM.

pH 8.2+. definitely a deeper red
FC 0
CYA 0
TA 60

I added the recommended amount of muriatic acid this morning about 700. When can I expect a RELIABLE pH reading so that I can move forward with SLAM.

Also - yes - I have added stabilizer to shoot for 30. That is already in socks in front of returns and in the skimmer.

If your pool started with CYA in it last fall and you have 0 now you may want to do the following prior to adding any CYA.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.

Short answer: half an hour or less if you get out there and brush. It's like stirring cream into your coffee but on a massive scale. You're gonna be brushing a whole bunch anyway during the SLAM, you might as well get started.

Marty has brought up the ugly but important subject of CYA degradation into ammonia. Let us hope you don't have ammonia.

If your pool started with CYA in it last fall and you have 0 now you may want to do the following prior to adding any CYA.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation.
I knew going into close knowing that my CYA was low. I don't remember off hand what it was. It could have been 30/40. silly question - what DOES happen to CYA over the winter? We did have a warm winter but would that affect it? I do not have ammonia (thank goodness) but what happened to the CYA? Is there an easy answer to that?

CYA breaks down slowly no matter what. Then there's dilution from rain or snow. And the tester won't read if it's below 20. Also note that the CYA test doesn't work well if the water is cold. Bring a sample inside and set it in a sunny window to warm up and then repeat the CYA test and see what you get.

If you are getting a lot of sun you might want to think about getting the CYA a little higher than 30 once you finish SLAMing. I had trouble with massive FC loss during the day, then passing the overnight drop test, before I raised my CYA from 30-40 to 50ish. Of course I am in the south.
EDIT- I just saw you have a salt water pool.. you wil for sure need to bring it up.

I typically maintain my CYA levels based on the recommendations on here for a SWG pool. I am still learning the little nuances and the effects of not following exactly :/ lol ... like not closing with the recommended CYA!!
Thank you all for your help and input, Very much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.