SLAM Questions

violet-mermaid

Mar 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
I have been fighting with my pool for the last month or so, and am currently doing a SLAM. However, I'm not 100% sure the pH was 7.2 when I started- probably more like 7.8. Now it is 8.2 and the pool is eating up a lot of chlorine each night. Is this normal during SLAM? I feel like a crazy woman going to the pool store so much for liquid chlorine LOL.

Is the pH affecting the SLAM- do I need to start over?

These are my numbers as of this morning...

Cl- 6
TA- 100
pH- 8.2
CYA- 30

It's still kinda cloudy and the algae keeps trying to creep back if I don't brush daily. I miss my sparkly pool!!

Thanks for your time!

First, we use FC (free chlorine) not Cl...just easier.

You can adjust pH anytime your FC is below 10. When 10 or above the pH reading is invalid. So, when you hit a time where FC is below 10, go ahead and lower pH. Do it in .4 increments, test after 30 minutes. Repeat until you hit 7.2. Don't do one big acid addition...don't want to overshoot.

Then resume the SLAM.

Target FC for your SLAM is 12. If you can test and replace the FC more often (like every couple hours), slam will go faster. BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Still going with slam. Water is crystal clear, but particles appear on the bottom every night. I have been brushing, using pool blaster, aiper, and manual vac and STILL can’t get rid of it. Burning through a lot of chlorine and it’s still losing a lot.

Are you using pool math? If so, go the the gear in the upper right of the home screen and click it.
Scroll all the way to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP.
If you have been logging everything, seeing your logs might help us troubleshoot.
Can you capture a picture of the particles? Do they clump together? What color are they? What happens to them when you brush them?

I have been but don't always log my addition lol.

Here's some pics. In the close up pic you can see it. It's a grayish/brown from what I can tell. When I hit them with the brush they just poof into the water. When I first started vaccuming at the start of SLAM, the pool blaster got a ton of it out and it looked brownish/gray on the filter. Now when I run it, the filter is white.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 9
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 9
As long as you can see the bottom of the pool, and FC is above mimimum and below slam level, it is safe to swim. Nothing in there with FC between min and Slam is going to make him sick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.