Home Depot carries a SWG? Who knew?

Looks to be a Hayward Aqua Rite knock off. Similar to the Inyo Crystal Pure and Blue Works. I'm going into my second season with a Crystal Pure. I had no problems with it last year and so far I am happy with it. I don't think getting a replacement cell will be a problem, but hopefully I will not have to cross that bridge for a few years.

I think the XtremepowerUS 40K gallon SWG offered from Home Depot is now changed to a more stand alone cell unit .
Looks completely different than the old XtremepowerUS , that was more like the Hayward knock-off , Crystal Pure / Pureline.

Xtremepower

xtremepowerus-pool-controls-90158-h1-64_1000.jpg

Xtremepower pool stuff is Chinese. If you were going to do that, I would get a Hayward clone so you could buy clone t-cell-15s. Honestly even the Circupool Universal 40 seems to be a knock off of the original Hayward. I even saw a local pool store selling the Xtremepower stuff... It's all over Amazon as well...

The Chinese part doesn't bother me as much as this "producing pounds of free chlorine per 24-hour day cycle " not a lot of detail
pro and Con is it's home depot, you can take it back and say its broke want a new one but con if you ask why it's not working will get a " no clue, want a new one"

I wouldn't spend that much without a solid warranty but I always like to see a new brand. I did a lot of research before switching to swg. There were a lot of Chinese manufacturers of the anodes. Wide range of price and wide range of catalytic coatings. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot are made in China and possibly why there seem to be a fair number of anode failures replaced in warranty. I did check the 40K unit on Amazon and it claims to produce about the same chlorine as a t15 cell. Home Depot and Amazon have pretty liberal return policy so may be worth. But Circupool universal unit produces more chlorine and is only about $70 more with a 4 year warranty... I think that's the way I'd go.

Reactions: markayash
From this page it looks like Home Depot offers both Hayward and Pentair knockoffs is several sizes all called Xtremepower. Looking at the 40K version of the Hayward knockoff it says that it produces 2.15.lbs per day which is roughly the same as the Circupool Universal40 (2 lbs/day). Discount Salt Pool's price for the Universal40 is $739 vs $746 for the Xtremepower 40k Hayward knockoff from Home Depot. Circupool has a 4 year limited warranty vs a 30 day for the Home Depot.

It appears the older "Hayward / Pureline / Circupool Universal40, knock-off design Xtremepower40 has been discontinued .
Looks like they only offer the newer Xtremepower , standalone looking unit . It does appear it has a seperate transformer/power supply , but the control unit appears to be part of the cell . At $725. from Home Depot , when the cell does eventually go bad (may be sooner than later) , its probably just a replace the whole thing again decision , as a replacement cell is likely not available, or more $$$ than a complete replacement.

I dont think I would chance it . Prob not worth the headache . Smarter decision would to be to spend a few more bucks and get a name brand unit with a good warranty and known good performance / life expectancy (Like Circupool , Hayward, etc) . That (potentially , wasted) $725. could go towards a better SWG in the first place .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like Chris said this is a better deal with a warranty. Its $739

CircuPool Universal40 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool

Agreed, but I do think we are talking about different units now . At least thats what I am seeing . Home depot has a new Xtremepower40 model listed and has discontinued the old version . The new Xtremepower40 is now a totally different unit than the old one (like the Circupool Universal40, Pureline/Hayward). See picture above ......
Still dont see much value in it, and likely any name brand unit is better than this new Extremepower40 model . Looks like a once and done unit, with not much chance to replace the cell when it goes bad (more like a Pentair) .

Is it interesting that they are becoming a “shelf” item at Home Depot. Shows the pool industry changing from tablets to liquid to SWG.
Should drive the price down as more players get in the game.
Liquid is great but I hated throwing away all those plastic gallon jugs. Should note my CYA was over 100 so When I got algae it took a lot.

One thing I learned about swg technology in my brief look at the technology and current research on the chemistry of the anode coatings is there are many different approaches and the chemistry is complex and evolving even right now. The variety of anodes available are likely completely different by brand. So an anode is not just the same anode by brand. Such things different metal mixed metal oxide coatings, different combinations of everything from ruthenium, iridium, tantalum plus more and the processes used for baking and sintering the ~10 micron layers of catalyst are sort of daunting to me. I got bleary-eyed reading and quickly realized this was the stuff of Matt (@JoyfulNoise )not me.

For people like me it comes down to some anodes use less power, are less affected by contaminants, and fouling, and even produce more chlorine per square inch of anode. So it all means cheap is not really a great way to select. And very likely longer warranty may be better value because of the underlying technology. That means a lot to me because I can't begin to understand the chemistry.

Chris

Last edited:
I think the XtremepowerUS 40K gallon SWG offered from Home Depot is now changed to a more stand alone cell unit .
That a full system with the Power Center or just a replacement cell?
Its not a standalone unit, it has the standard pentair power unit plug. The models that come with the power center cost $90- $150 more. So technically its still a savings but with no expected lifespan posted, i would never gamble that much money to try and save $150 over the lifespan of the unit. For all we know its a 2k or 3k hour unit.

Home depot IC40 and power center $815
Pool supply unlimited pentair IC40 and power center $965

Buying just the cell is $76 cheaper to stick with pentair and a (hopeful) known lifespan

Home depot IC40 $725
Amazon pentair IC40 $649

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.