Highest Acceptable Hot Tub pH?

Methuselah

May 9, 2022
Alabama
Disregarding the drop test comparator's upper limit, if one could monitor pH accurately what would be the highest it is safe for humans and equipment to run at continuously?

I searched "Cheap pH Meter", the first 4 of 10 pages didn't have the word cheap, but lots had "accurate". I wouldn't mind accurate, but cheap comes first since when pH drifts up I'm thinking from what I read here that above 8.0 is nothing to panic about? Anyway, that's why I asked about the cheap meters @ajw22 was checking out and resurrected that thread. I hope that's OK...

You get what you pay for with pH meters in terms of holding calibration, ease of calibration, precision, and probe replacements.

I don’t think spa water can get to a pH that is unhealthy to humans. High pH is alkaline. High pH is damaging to equipment causing scaling.

I don't think there is a hard cut-off, where the water suddenly turns into poison. But the higher you go, the the risks that something goes wrong. Like:

Scale -> watch CSI
Metal staining
Unpleasant to swimmers

The general opinion is that up to 8.0 is ok, with a stretch up to 8.2. When metals are known to be in the water or when high in CH, I wouldn't go that high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.