Higher pressure and pump not full

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi all - Wanted some more experienced folks to chime in on what my issue might be

#1) I almost always have exactly a 15 reading for pressure on my gauge. This year when I opened the pool this morning it says 17. The filter was completely cleaned in the fall and put away clean
#2) I always have my pump basket completely full with no air at all. Usually when the pump is running I can't even tell because there is no movement of water in the basket since there are no air bubbles. This year there's like a full inch of air and I can't figure out why.

As an aside it's slightly possible that when I was dragging the hoses across the yard to reattach maybe some small pea gravel went inside one of the hoses.

Anyway, what do my problems signify to you? I'm stumped. I also don't see any discernable leaks. I always thought when you have air in the pump it creates a weaker flow and would lower your pressure. It seems my 2 issues run against my logic? I could be totally wrong. Anyway thanks for reading!

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off? If not you need a new gauge. Check for any kinks in your lines that would impede flow back to the pool.

Air in the pump basket implies a suction side leak. Your plumbing is all above ground, right?? Look for a break in the lines.

Maddie :flower:

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off? If not you need a new gauge. Check for any kinks in your lines that would impede flow back to the pool.

Air in the pump basket implies a suction side leak. Your plumbing is all above ground, right?? Look for a break in the lines.

Maddie :flower:
It does go to zero thanks. The flow back into the pool is quite strong. I'll have to maybe tighten my connections and take a look at the plumbing. Thanks

I figured out the issue. After taking apart all the hoses and putting teflon tape back on and tightening everything again nothing changed. My return jet was making very weird noises like something was obstructing it. All of a sudden it hit me, the eyeball return jet looked much much smaller than usual. Sure enough I guess I grabbed the wrong return jet. I have no worldly idea why I even have an eyeball return jet with a tiny opening. I put the right one on and pressure is exactly 15 as usual and barely a bubble in the pump basket. Well that was 45 mins I wasted for nothing. Throwing that piece out so I don't make that mistake again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.