High TA, Low Stabilizer - everything else OK

NoobDude

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
New York
(specs in signature)

11,000 Gallon SW pool, barely used so far this summer because I've been getting work done in the yard for the past 2-3 weeks. Solar cover has been on it the whole time. Still not that hot here in NY so not much swimming. I am brand spankin' new at pools so everything I've learned has been on this site over the past 48-72 hours. Amazing resource, I'm so glad I found it.

PH - 7.6
FC - 4.5
CYA - 0
TA - 200

Salt - ~3500
CH - 200

Using the PoolMath app it says in order to lower my TA I have to lower my PH to about 7-7.2 and then aerate. My plan is to use muriatic acid to lower the PH but will adding CYA also lower the PH even more (I'm gonna have to use a ton of CYA)? Should I conquer these one at a time?

Welcome to the forum!
Add CYA. Is this a fresh fill? I would start with 30 ppm worth using the sock method. Once dissolved, test it a couple days later.
TA -- do not focus on it. When your pH rises to 8, lower it to 7.6 or so. TA will come done. If the pH rise is too fast for you (this will be more pronounced once you leave the cover off), then follow the TA lowering process as shown in Pool School.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Right after I posted this I read the pool school article saying not to chase TA unless there's a specific problem. :) Edit: It's not necessarily a fresh fill. Pool was put in last September, used for about a week and then closed. Opened up about 3 weeks ago but have barely used it.

So yes I will tackle the CYA problem first and foremost. Does adding CYA lower your PH at all since its an acid?

Good question! It can -- if you drop it when removing the skimmer basket. You can tie it to the skimmer basket, if possible. Or just be sure the pump is off when you mess with the skimmer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.