High pressure with new pump. impeller change?

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
New build. Wanted a Hayward 2 speed tristar. Plan on running 20 hrs a day on low. Then high to push some water around and run Polaris.
So i got the Tristar SP32152EE. 1.5 on high. I thought the specs had good numbers on low speed, maybe a bit much on high, but it will be ok.

mmmmmmmm. might have missed my mark. Pushing 23 on gauge with clean filter, 26 if i run thru heat pump. . 2" piping. no excessive 90's, Hayward pro sand filter S270T2,
6 returns in 16 x32 rect. have a valve on each skimmer and main drain. if i just run main drain, it won't fill the basket all the way, like the pump is outpushing the flow in.
crack a skimmer, its fine. full prime. no air, no bubbles nothing.
if on low, i can isolate each valve without problems. basket full, no air.
So, since i asked PB to get this, I'm prob stuck with it. the question is, can i down size the impeller and take some stain off everything? like go to a 1 hp impeller? i've already had to go to the red restrictor to slow the wheel rpm down on the Polaris 280. it's still 33.

i appreciate the help !

Unless you have a spa or some other high flow water feature, you can go with the smallest impeller available. That is what I did on my pump and now it is a 1/2 HP two speed that I run on low speed most of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.