High pressure on gauge after breaking down de filter and cleaning..

jeepguy2020

Mar 29, 2020
flower mound Texas
Hi all,
My psi still at or around 20psi. Have cleaned de filter added new de. All valves in correct location. new gauge.No bubbles in pump stainer, water is clear and tests are on the money.Never had chemical issues in 3 years since we moved here.This problem began a few months ago. Thought de media was dirty. Not!!
Im at wits end fellas!! Don't want this tank to blow.Filer and pleats are 1 1/2 years old.

Can u help

Thanks much

Rick

Rick,

What are you used to seeing? I assume you let your filter get dirty enough for the pressure to get to 20 and then you clean it. Normally what is your clean pressure with new DE?

You did open and clean it and not just backwash, correct??

What type of pump do you have? Single Speed, 2-speed or variable speed?

Tomorrow show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JammaO
Welcome to TFP.

What DE filter do you have?

My DE filter clean pressure is about 18 and I lose a lot of flow and clean it by 28.

Your filter is not going to blow at 20 or 30 or even 40.

Rick,

What are you used to seeing? I assume you let your filter get dirty enough for the pressure to get to 20 and then you clean it. Normally what is your clean pressure with new DE?

You did open and clean it and not just backwash, correct??

What type of pump do you have? Single Speed, 2-speed or variable speed?

Tomorrow show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response.I will answer your question in order that u ask.

Im used to seeing about 10-12 this is right after I take the tank apart and wash down.I took it down yesterday and the pleats were not really that bad for a year, thats when I do it,Pool is covered except J,J,August. Tank and pleats are 1 1/2 years old.
I do backwash some, but pressure still was too high for my liking. I have a Pentair VS pump and new booster that has the 5 impellers in it.Ill take pics tomorrow for you. This happened I noticed after temps got down and my freeze warning did not kick pump on. Gauge was frozen thats when I replaced it. Everything seems to be in order as usual, except psi. Today I ran the pump at 2700 rpm and had the Polaris on ,the tank pressure was about 14-15 psi.Funny thing I noticed, when I open 2 skimmers and bottom drain thats when pressure goes up. When I close one the psi goes down, Seems like the other way should be norm,Anyway the psi should have been around 12 with drain and 2 skimmers open.

Its a puzzle!! Ill send pics am.

Thanks again

Rick

Rick,

That is a little weird...

Do you have a cartridge style DE filter or do you the older ones with the what are called grids?

If you could fill in you pool's signature, it would help everyone here. See mine for reference..

Jim R.

18,000 gallon oval shape with 4 person round spa. My DE filter is a 60 Pentair ,is 1 1/2 years old. My pump is a Pentair intelliflo Ultra VS,booster pump for Polaris 280 is PB45Q. Spa does cascade down, 2 skimmer boxes.Plain plaster bottom of pool.No heater at all been taken out.Having problems with pics

Rick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added 10 scoops of de could I have over done it? I don't think so just a thought

Your filter takes 6 lbs when cleaned and 5 lbs after a backwash. I have no idea what that is in scoops.

Rick,

Thanks, for the pics...

Is your pump a VS pump or a VSF pump? If VSF are you operating in the VS or VF mode?

The filter pressure gauge is basically the amount of effort it takes to push water through the filter and all the other valves and pipes to route the water back to the pool.. So in your case, the MVP, the tab dispenser, the pipe that feeds the pool returns and the pipe that feeds the spa spillover.

I don't see anything obviously wrong... but why is your spa make up valve wide open? Seems to me that would increase your filter pressure.

I have a pool with a 60 sq.ft. DE filter and at about 2800 RPM my filter pressure is about 5 or 6 lbs. Very simple pool, but just like yours, the water passes back through the MVP, a SWCG, and then back to the pool.

As a test, I would shut off the spa spillover and then see what your filter pressure is.. If you are operating in the VF mode I would switch to the VS mode and see what that does.

There are a bunch of DE scoops.. Some are way less than a pound and some are an actual pound.. I suggest you weigh your scoop and see what it is full of DE and empty. That said, I doubt that too much DE is your problem. If you think it is, you could backwash and load it again.

How do you load new DE to your system??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim
Not sure VS VSF meaning.I knows its a intelliconnect Pentair I load DE from a mixed slurry into skimmer slowly..I have always used the same amount and brand of de, never a psi problem till now.I leave the spill over open to keep fresh water in it and pool at same time. I will turn on run with open then close and see what happens.

Rick

Rick,

Have you ever soaked your grids in anything? Have you used any Floc, or phos-free or anything else that might have clogged your current grids?

I am about out of ammo... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.