High pressure. Filter blew up!

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
I have always wondered why the pressure gauge on an older 150sq ft single cartridge Starite filter was reading north of 20psi with a clean filter. There's a clean salt cell and a newer heatpump for the water to travel back through on the way to a same level pool. No lift of any kind (but no bypass on the heatpump either).

Well, yesterday it happened. I arrived out to find that a neighbor had pulled out the breaker to stop the water escaping through the cracked ring on the filter. The pool had drained down halfway. It is an infinity edge btw. A water truck and a new Jacuzzi branded cartridge filter from Leslie's and we were ready for action. I went out and flicked on the 1hp pump and it shows 27psi on the gauge. This doesn't sit well with me. Should we just let it run or call in the pros?

27 PSI is not right for a new cartridge filter. A new pressure vessel should be able to handle it but the cause should be determined.

Agreed. My concern is if clean filter pressure is 27psi,. Dirty filter will be 37psi. That's a lot! I'm going out there this morning to put in a dummy salt cell, take out the cartridge and see what the pressure is. If I'm not getting great flow from all the returns, then I will call a repair co and get the heater on a bypass.

I will check it out in a few minutes. I'm loading up now to go over. The owner did say, that when the builtright heat pump was installed a couple of years ago there was chunks of 'white stuff' coming out of the returns.

Dave

Dave,

I do not have a heater... But, if I did it would have a bypass.. My guess would be that at least half of the year, maybe more, no heater would be required.. Why not bypass it in the warmer months??? Seems common sense to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.