High phosphate level

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
Opened the pool last Friday. Brought water to the pool store for testing. One thing surprised me was the high phosphate level at 2500 ppb. The normal value should be below 100. the guy in the store tried to sell me phosphate-free stuff. But being a member of TFP for a couple of years, I got used to ask here before buying anything. Should I try that first or just wait?

s,

So... you have been a member here for about two years and you still have to ask what we think about Phosphates... :confused:

Phosphates are algae food, but it is much easier to kill the algae.. then it does not matter if there is algae food available or not...

Just keep your CYA and FC levels per this chart, and you will never have to worry about algae or phosphates... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I second Donldson's question... why in the world would you ever go to a pool store for water testing?

Thanks,

Jim R.

My compliments to you if all they could find to sell you was Phos-free.

If there were no phosphates in your pool for algae to feed on, you wouldn't get an algae outbreak: true.
If you killed algae spores immediately upon landing in your pool, you wouldn't get an algae outbreak: also true.

Since you're keeping enough Chlorine in the pool to keep it sanitary, you're also keeping enough to kill algae spores. Therefore, it doesn't matter if your phosphate level is 2500 or 25,000. You still won't get algae. Save the money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.