Jul 18, 2017
Placerville, ca
Our pool finished completion at the beginning of last summer. I have been following TFP since before we started construction. We use the TF pool testing kit. Here’s my delima, I can’t get my pH down, it has never been under 8.2.
I test weekly (record my numbers in Pool Math) and every week its 8.2. I add the recommended amount of acid (31.45) and it remains high.
Here are my numbers from today:
FC -8.0
pH- 8.2
TA-110
CH- 250
CYA- 90
Salt-3200

Am I just being too conservative? Should I add more than the recommended amount of acid each week?
Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciate.

Do you have water features? How often and for how long do you run them?

Adding acid twice a week would be better.

What is the TA of your fill water?

Reactions: Slmcveigh72
I see your TA bounces up and down so your acid appears to be affecting that. Are you running a waterfall or a spa spillover full time? That aeration can cause your pH to climb.
If you do have a water feature as noted above, suggest you turn it off for a couple of days and see if your pH moves down with the MA you mix in. Your goal should be to get TA under 100 and maintain pH under 8.
Once last item, have you verified that your pH reagent is still valid? it may be time for a new bottle.

I can’t get my pH down, it has never been under 8.2.

When do you retest your pH?

Add acid then retest after 45 minutes. Repeat as needed until your pH is around 7.6.

Your pool volume may be off which would throw the recommended amount of chemicals to be added off.

Thank you for your responses. We do have a hot tub with a spillover water feature. We run it daily for about 12 hours, it comes on with the pump.
Thank you for mentioning our pool volume, it is off in the app, ugh. It was originally supposed to be a 23k gallon pool but when it was filled it was a 34k gallon pool. I am changing it now...I’m sure it makes a difference in calculations.
I will try retesting every 45 min until I bring it down. You are all AWESOM, thank you!
Do you have water features? How often and for how long do you run them?

Adding acid twice a week would be better.

What is the TA of your fill water?
I never thought to test the fill water. I‘ll do that now.

It was originally supposed to be a 23k gallon pool but when it was filled it was a 34k gallon pool. I am changing it now...I’m sure it makes a difference in calculations.

Your signature stills says your pool is 23K.

You can dial in the correct pool volume by testing after adding chlorine or acid and adjusting your pool volume until the PoolMath recommended dose correctly predicts the result.

Yes, we do To turn on/off the spa, lights, jets. Unfortunatel, the spillway comes on with the pump. I’m not sure how to change that.
Post up a picture of your equipment pad and the experts here can help you isolate the spillover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.