High pH

Jun 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
I connected my filter about a week ago. Last Monday the pool exploded with algae. I went ahead & added a couple of gallons of chlorine & started skimming all the algae off the top. I also gave the pool of couple of good vacuuming's. Now the what is a lot cleaner but is extremely cloudy. Note: I not did not cover my pool for the winter as we get really high winds which will wreck both the cover & pool.

Test Results Today

TA - 100
PH - over 8.0
FC - 3
CH - 250 (On private well with hard water)
CYA - around 40 (Used test strip. Ran out of testing solution.)

What is the easiest way to get the PH down? The calculator says to add 34 oz's of muriatic acid. I also have 5 pounds of pH lower that the previous owner left.

Should I worry abut increasing the TA for my above ground vinyl pool?

The easiest and cleanest way is to use muriatic acid.

You can use the "pH Down", but once it's gone, you can just stick to muriatic acid. pH Down adds sulfates, which can be bad as they build up in the pool, especially if you have a saltwater generator.

Bear in mind that FC of 3 is on the edge of the danger zone for algae with 40 CYA. You need to raise that to 7ppm as soon as possible.

As stated by Triptyx, muriatic acid is the way to go. You can use the "Pool Math" calculator to figure out how much to add to get to your target - - > PoolMath

For your FC you want a minimum of three and it's much better if you maintain it between 5-7 Chlorine/CYA chart - - > Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
If it's cloudy and you have a CC reading over 0.5 or you do a OCLT to see if or how much FC you loose overnight it will tell you if you need to perform a slam. It sure sounds like you should do one.
How to SLAM - - > Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Do you have a good test kit ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.