TA 50
FC 7
CC 0.5
CYA 55
Calcium 450
Salt 3000
Temp 60
CSI -0.05

I can barely get my pH below 8.0 and takes muriatic acid additions every day (1 cup per day) to get there.

Should I just keep adding MA every day and forget about the TA? Or do I need to add baking soda? I'm already having hard enough time with keeping the pH down, I don't want to do anything to make it worse than it already is.

Do you have a spa spillover or other water features running?

TA of 50 is ok.

@platon20 , I've been having the same kind of year with my pH. But as long as your overall water balance (CSI) is good (which yours is) you are okay. Some pools simply settle-in better on the higher end of the pH scale. As long as the CH and TA are not too high, it's okay. Water temps are dropping as well which help this time of year.

How are you testing?

Are you sure that the reading is correct?

I would suggest that you get a pH meter to confirm.

Try new reagent.
Get a second opinion on the reading of the test. Post a picture so we can see the color.
Make sure that the fc is below 10 ppm.

I had a similar issue then realized I couldn't discern the colors in the 7.8-8.2 pH range at all. A lot of men are color-challenged in this range... not color blind just can't discern these shades. Didn't even know this 'till I started taking care of my pool 5 years ago. My wife reads it perfectly and I tried to "train myself" from her readings but finally gave up and went to the portable pH meters. I started with the cheaper ones but eventually ended up with a Hanna Phep meter. Calibration is automatic takes almost no time at all and I only do it once per week. Rarely changes and if needed it's only .1 pH units.

I hope you don't have this affliction but if you do it's really easy to get around. Plus you'll know your pH regardless of the FC level since the meters aren't affected by FC level.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Platon,

Just for reference.. We are both in the same basic area and have about the same size pools.. I add 5 oz. of MA each day to maintain a pH of 7.7 to 7.8..

All good ideas above.. Seems to me that something is just not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.

How are you testing?

Are you sure that the reading is correct?

I would suggest that you get a pH meter to confirm.

Try new reagent.
Get a second opinion on the reading of the test. Post a picture so we can see the color.
Make sure that the fc is below 10 ppm.

I'm not using the color coded ph I'm using a pH meter. When I first put it in it jumps up to 8.3 or 8.4 but then over hte course of about 30 seconds it gradually comes down to the 8.1 range

I have a spa spillover but waterfall is turned off; no other water features

Does your spa spillover run continuously?

How often do you calibrate your pH meter with pH 7.0 Standard Solution?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.