Mar 19, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all -

I have a Raypak 406A Heater. Lately I've been getting a High Limit 2 error. I'm not sure what this is or what could cause it beyond one of the thermometers is getting too hot. What could cause this and is there any way for me to check it myself? I'm fairly handy but heaters are a bit out of my comfort zone.

In that picture - the sensor is metal bar with material wrapped around it? I haven’t actually opened it up. What’s the anatomy of the picture (if you know)?

There are two HLS sensors with orange caps and two wires into each…

Raypak_Heater_HLS_Heat_Shield.jpg

There are two HLS sensors with orange caps and two wires into each…

Raypak_Heater_HLS_Heat_Shield.jpg
This is perfect thanks.

They call out adding thermal paste the the sensors as part of the fix. Do you think it matters what kind?

@JamesR - what kind did you use on your raypak fix last year? Also where did you get your header insulation?

The insulation is automotive header wrap. I only used that because I had some left over from my Chevelle. I think basic fiberglass insulation packed in there would be as effective.
The thermal paste, I used CPU heat sink compound. You don’t need much at all.
It ran the remainder of last year with zero issues.
I used this but I’m sure any good quality heat sink compound/paste will suffice.
It’s a tiny little tube but more than enough for the wells that those 2 switches sit in.

Attachments

• 53EEE087-776F-4F1B-9FBD-A70E48F93F1C.jpeg
    53EEE087-776F-4F1B-9FBD-A70E48F93F1C.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: atxjmy512
Yeah The insulation is automotive header wrap. I only used that because I had some left over from my Chevelle. I think basic fiberglass insulation packed in there would be as effective.
I used this but I’m sure any good quality heat sink compound/paste will suffice.
It’s a tiny little tube but more than enough for the wells that those 2 switches sit in.
The insulation is automotive header wrap. I only used that because I had some left over from my Chevelle. I think basic fiberglass insulation packed in there would be as effective.
Thanks. How did you get those little screws out in the sensors? Did you have to remove both the heat sink and the metal frame above it to get access?

I used a Chapman set. It’s a little ratchet with a screwdriver bit in it. It’s good for tight spaces.

Attachments

• DFF16C25-AF16-4BF3-866A-D008E924FBBB.jpeg
    DFF16C25-AF16-4BF3-866A-D008E924FBBB.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all -

I have a Raypak 406A Heater. Lately I've been getting a High Limit 2 error. I'm not sure what this is or what could cause it beyond one of the thermometers is getting too hot. What could cause this and is there any way for me to check it myself? I'm fairly handy but heaters are a bit out of my comfort zone.
I had the same thing when I turned my heater on this year and my heater is less than a year old. My heater was also making a weird noise and that let me know to check that part. I change the unitherm governor and now it’s working perfectly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.