High fc and cc?

Thank you. So I read I should stop using my chlorine tablets that have cya . If I use regular store bleach and have 24000 gallons would
55 isn't too high. Leave it alone and it'll slowly drop on its own over the season. All you need to do is keep your FC slightly higher due to the elevated CYA.

Target FC of 5 and never let it drop below 4 and you'll be fine. CC below .5 is okay too. CC 1 or higher is where we start to get concerned.

As stated, the smell is likely CC. A sunny day or two with the pool uncovered should fix that. If not, let us know and we'll dig a little deeper.

FYI, my FC is currently 22 and it's doesn't smell like anything. A sanitary pool shouldn't smell like anything at all.
Why is your fc 22? I thought it shouldn't be above 4? Is that because you have a salt pool?

My last post cut off. I read that my chlorine tablets will increase the CYA level so I should switch to liquid core liquid chlorine if I use store chlorine and have 24000 gallon pool would I use 50 oz every single day?

My last post cut off. I read that my chlorine tablets will increase the CYA level so I should switch to liquid core liquid chlorine if I use store chlorine and have 24000 gallon pool would I use 50 oz every single day?
You’ll need to test and add what you have to add to get back up to your target on the FC/CYA Levels. How much is used depends on how much sun the pool gets, organics that get blown in, bather load, etc.

Thank you. So I read I should stop using my chlorine tablets that have cya . If I use regular store bleach and have 24000 gallons would

Why is your fc 22? I thought it shouldn't be above 4? Is that because you have a salt pool?
I just finished a SLAM. My SWG quit and I had an algae bloom before I discovered it. With an SWG, my CYA is 70, so my SLAM level is 28.

So I'm in the process of draining my pool half way because I just did my CYA test and it's now like 90 or a 100 I don't know how it goes up that high 30 points in A-day?
Ph7.7
Ph 110
Fc 6
I decided To go to the pool store just to check my numbers against theirs as I am new at this she said everything looked the same except the combined coin was at a level 7 when I used my taylor test with with the drops I got .2 but it does have a chlorine smell so I don't know if I did it wrong?
Anyway she said my CYA level is fine it can get up to 200 but she also admitted she doesn't really know much about CYA....ugg

Anyway she said my CYA level is fine it can get up to 200 but she also admitted she doesn't really know much about CYA....ugg
So she was as accurate as their testing. I was at my own pool store recently and I was the 3rd customer. It was painful to hear while waiting. Then, because none of it made any sense, they had to repeat it 4 times each customer. I wanted to bleach my ears.

Reactions: val8375
Well still haven't swam in my pool after 3 weeks. It took me 4 days of draining a little refill...drain....
The cya was 90 got it to 50
I shocked it last night got the FC to 18.
Today its at 9 but still has that chlorine smell. I did the taylor test and it didn't show any cc!?!?
I'm ready to just drain the whole thing and call it a season

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wonderful that you've started your SLAM, although it would be good to lower your pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid while your FC is < 10 and you're getting valid pH numbers. When the FC is > 10 the pH will measure artificially high.

Then you need to Maintain your FC level at SLAM level, which is 20 for a CYA of 50. Add more liquid chlorine to bring it back up to 20. In 2 hours (or more if you can't check every 2 hours), test again and dose again. Brush the pool. Repeat as often as you can (waiting at least 2 hrs between.) Keep that up until your water is completely crystal clear, the smell is gone, no little bits of brown on the floor that poof when you brush and CC's are 0.5 or less. Then, do an Overnight Chloring Lost Test and if you lose no more than 1 FC, you will have passed the SLAM and you can let your FC come down to target of 6-8. Don't ever let it go below 4 as long as your CYA is 50.

This SLAMming will likely take at least a few days, maybe longer. The more often you can test, dose, and brush the faster it will go.

With CYA at 50 you're all set up to follow the SLAM Process. How does your water look?
With CYA at 50 you're all set up to follow the SLAM Process. How does your water

With CYA at 50 you're all set up to follow the SLAM Process. How does your water look?
The water is crystal clear. Always has been. I read through the SLAM. Is that the same thing I did last night when I shocked it and brought the chlorine up to 18 except I have to do this a couple times?
Wonderful that you've started your SLAM, although it would be good to lower your pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid while your FC is < 10 and you're getting valid pH numbers. When the FC is > 10 the pH will measure artificially high.

Then you need to Maintain your FC level at SLAM level, which is 20 for a CYA of 50. Add more liquid chlorine to bring it back up to 20. In 2 hours (or more if you can't check every 2 hours), test again and dose again. Brush the pool. Repeat as often as you can (waiting at least 2 hrs between.) Keep that up until your water is completely crystal clear, the smell is gone, no little bits of brown on the floor that poof when you brush and CC's are 0.5 or less. Then, do an Overnight Chloring Lost Test and if you lose no more than 1 FC, you will have passed the SLAM and you can let your FC come down to target of 6-8. Don't ever let it go below 4 as long as your CYA is 50.

This SLAMming will likely take at least a few days, maybe longer. The more often you can test, dose, and brush the faster it will go.
I did the oncl test and it didn't really change. So should I still do the slam?

Reading your thread, it sounds as if you have the typical spring opening process and had some elevated CYA to deal with. But if you are sure you have passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and your water is crystal down to the deepest part, there is no need to go into a SLAM Process. Keep your water balanced, watch for anything unusual, and if you see something odd later do another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Reactions: val8375
I forgot to mention...so yesterday I went in the pool...side note I can't smell chlorine while in the water only out? Anyway they are building houses behind me and I get A lot of blowing dirt into my pool so I decided to go inside the pool and vacuum it by hand. I noticed on the edge of the steps where there is a crease there was green algae which I scrubbed and vacuumed and on the bottom of the pool there was dirt in the crevices but it was almost yellow looking which I don't know if that was algae or dirt.

but it was almost yellow looking which I don't know if that was algae or dirt.
Well let's not panic. If it's soft and smooth between the fingers or puffs-up quickly it could be algae. But if it feels gritty or you can grab it, then it's probably dirt. You passed the OCLT so hopefully it's the later. Keep those folds and wrinkles brushed though, they are trouble areas.

A properly chlorinated pool won’t have the chlorine smell. You might smell it after you are done swimming as your sweat, etc. gets oxidized. Chlorine itself doesn’t smell - it’s combined chlorine, or chloramines, that smell. If you can smell pure bleach, it’s the chlorine gas it’s giving up mixing with things in your nose and making chloramines.

Reactions: jeffchap
So that smell is just stressing me. It's not real bad but I don't want any smell. So I decided to do the SLAM. I've had it at 20fc for a few hours scrubbing ect. Do I just keep it at a 20 level until the smell goes away since The overnight chlorine level test passed and the water is clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.