High-end Above-Ground Pool Advice?

wptpool

Gold Supporter
Sep 2, 2019
Westport, MA
We've recently come to the realization that because our home is a deck house (you walk up a story to get to the main floor), we'd be best served with an above-ground pool. We imagine our deck, which is at about 10 feet off the ground, "terracing" down 4 feet or so to the pool, which would also be surrounded in deck.

We'd like it to be a large pool and to have as many of the high-end features and finishes you find in the in-ground world. I'm not sure how realistic this is without spending _way_ more than we would on the equivalent in-ground pool.

I've just started researching. Any advice is hugely appreciated. We'd be especially excited to find a manufacturer that makes a high-end solution.

Thank you!

Dough Boy pools are one of the top of the line above ground pools.Above ground pools are limited in their depth and shape. Saying that you can have an engineer work with your so you can get a poured pool where the walls are above ground. That will get you more control over the depth and shape of the pool.

I will look around to see if I can find the build thread that shows these pools.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Pv2
I would consider this pool a high end above ground pool, built due to a similar situation as you describe:

I would consider this pool a high end above ground pool, built due to a similar situation as you describe:

This is super relevant -- thank you! We don't have the steep yard thankfully but this thread makes me realize that in essence what we'll likely need to do is build the equivalent of a house foundation.

My IG pool sounds like it would work for you just mostly raised out of the ground. I have a vinyl liner inside a concrete shell. My walls are pretty much a foundation. They would probably need to be a few inches thicker to totally support themselves but it’s doable without breaking the bank. Or if you had enough space on either side you could build a slope/backfill up to the pool. Dirt is cheap and retaining walls are crazy expensive. A grass covered slope/hill wouldn’t wash away and it would be a fraction of the cost. (With the proper certified engineer making the plans of course).

Reactions: wptpool
My IG pool sounds like it would work for you just mostly raised out of the ground. I have a vinyl liner inside a concrete shell. My walls are pretty much a foundation. They would probably need to be a few inches thicker to totally support themselves but it’s doable without breaking the bank. Or if you had enough space on either side you could build a slope/backfill up to the pool. Dirt is cheap and retaining walls are crazy expensive. A grass covered slope/hill wouldn’t wash away and it would be a fraction of the cost. (With the proper certified engineer making the plans of course).

These are great points, thank you so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with a 12’ DoughBoy pool as a starter and have quickly outgrown it. Our backyard slopes and our deck is about 6’ off the ground. Our plan is to find an installer for this pool and hope that the pool wall doesn’t sit above our brand new pavers deck. The shape and entry steps are just what we wanted. Hoping to have the installation completed by late February.

Attachments

• 16B9FA92-BC9F-4711-B6E7-803AFAD0D7A0.jpeg
    16B9FA92-BC9F-4711-B6E7-803AFAD0D7A0.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 28
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.