High Cyanuric Acid and phosphates

No, the pump itself. There will be a drain plug for suction end and one on the pressure side. They look like wing nuts. If you are not getting any air in to your pump basket, you can leave them alone. But be ware they do dry out and can leak.

I have not changed any orings in the 6 years I have had our pool equipment. Keep them clean and lubricated and they should last a very long time.

If you are standing at the pump basket end of pump, they are on the left side. Along the bottom.

They would not be dirty. But the orings can crack. I would not do it until you can have the time to dash to Home Depot for Orings just in case they have an issue.

Most likely place for air is the pump basket lid. Lube that gasket first.

Understood, so lube the pump basket lid first and if still air in the pump then open the drain and lube on a day I can go to home depot. I am assuming it's a regulat oring and all I would meed is the diameter to purchase one. Is there a tickness to know?

But in general opening the drain is not part of a routine clean up or maintenance.
Thanks

I do not know about a thickness. Typically you can take the old one and match it pretty close.

It is not a routine thing for us. In cold country, they take the drain plugs out when they winterize.

Thank you @mknauss. I am still waiting for the FC to get to 7ppm. I was at 9ppm last night and at 7.5 ppm tonight. So about 1.5ppm loss in 24hours.
I hope that's normal as in it feels weird after slam and using quarts of CL per day to not have used any for 3 days now waiting for the FC to drop from 24 (slam level) to 7ppm.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it feels weird after slam and using quarts of CL per day to not have used any for 3 days now waiting for the FC to drop
That is a weird feeling isnt it. I turned my SWG up in preparation for a heat wave.. then it cooled off by 20 degrees and I forgot to turn it back down.. next thing I see my FC is hovering close to 20ppm. whoa. It took a week to let it drop.

Hello,
Here are my FC numbers:
Yesterday FC went down by 3ppm in 24h (7ppm to 4ppm)
The day before, FC went down by 2ppm in 24h (7ppm to 5ppm)

Do these number seem accurate and match your average?
Is there a concern for the FC to drop 3ppm during the day and am I risking getting algae?

I usually check at 8pm and adjust using CL
Thanks

I actually see about 4+ ppm FC loss per day. So your numbers are fine. You might try targeting a little higher each day so your low does not come close to the minimum.

Will do, I also measured for the first time my pH, and Cl Br since end of slam.
pH is at 7.8 and "Cl Br" is "5 10"
Should I reduce the pH, seem like I am in the ideal range.
I have no idea what the "Cl Br" represents and what my ideal number should be?
Thanks

The OTO portion of the color comparator block is used for TC for you. You do not have bromine (used in spas/hot tubs).

Once you get real comfortable with how your pool acts and its chlorine needs, you can use the OTO (yellow) test to just be sure the FC is in the range you think it should be. I rarely use mine.

pH, I would leave. Once it is above 7.8, lower it to 7.4 or so.

Thank you, I'll look for a guide on how to read and use the OTO test.
Regarding the FC and CL usage, if I was to estimate my monthly usage in June, it would ne like (50oz per day x 30 days ÷128) gal x $4 which gives me about $40 of CL per month?!
Does this match your experience?
For some reason I thought it will be less than that.

Also, how often do you brush a pebble tech pool during the summer and the winter?

Thanks

That chlorine use sounds right. Liquid chlorine and SWCG break even on cost in the long run. You might consider that at some time.

With my robot I do not brush the pool anymore. In your situation, weekly is a good practice.

That chlorine use sounds right. Liquid chlorine and SWCG break even on cost in the long run. You might consider that at some time.
I'll expand on Marty's comment a bit. When I was pricing things out I found the break even point of the cost of a SWG versus the cost of chlorine is about three years. The same as the warranty/life expectancy of most SWGs. At $40 bux/month your are right on track. So if your SWG manages to run longer than 3 years, I figure anything after that is free chlorine! My first SWG cell ran for 9+ years. I'm on my 6th year with my second cell. Since I didn't have to by the controller, just a replacement cell the breakeven point was even shorter for the second cell. The other factor that is hard to put a price on is convenience. Running a SWG is darn easy once you figure it out. Then factor in how much time you spend hauling jugs of chlorine. In my work I bill hourly, so I if I use that rate for how much time I saved with an SWG, I paid it off in the first year... But as they say YMMV

Thank you @mguzzy and @mknauss. In the next few days I will run a full test and post my results before I consider this thread "completed".

I will also share a list of topics I may need help with and will rely on your guidance if I should create a new thread...etc

Meanwhile, I noticed in the morning ants in the pool, for the last few days they have been "attracted" to the pool or the CL? (see attached pictures). Has anyone experienced this? Is it just a coincidence?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200620_105748.jpg
    20200620_105748.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200620_105723.jpg
    20200620_105723.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200620_105625.jpg
    20200620_105625.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.