High CYA.

Is the water clear with no visible algae?

80ppm CYA is still high, but if you want to use the pool over the weekend, you can surely postpone another drain. Just bring the CYA up to 10ppm and don't let it drop below 6ppm, per chlorine/CYA chart.

More drain and refill on the to do list to get the CYA down some more.

Water is clear with no visible algae.

I'll bring FC to 10 with liquid 10%.

So if I punch the numbers into the app for FC I am being told to add 101oz or 3 quarts, 1cup. Sound good?

Add a gallon. That is about 9 ppm FC in your pool volume. I suspect you will need at least a half gallon a day added to maintain your FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that the only test I need to do daily? Also I do the weekly list as well I assume. So are you saying besides my high CYA, I'm pretty good to go at this point if I maintain 10 FC on the daily.
pH will be difficult to measure so be sure to test it when the FC is found to be below 10 ppm. Keep it in the 7's. TA is of no concern. Test it weekly so you have the data for Poolmath.

Is guess your original zero CYA test was the result of the PH being so low. Must have caused test strip failure. Using pucks forever, the 150+ figure makes sense. You will need a very high FC # to keep the pool clean with CYA so high. Since we don't know how high it actually is, that is not viable.

You will have to drain a bit, refill and circulate, retest CYA, then repeat until you get a manageable CYA number. Don't think about using another puck until your CYA is way under 100.

The good news is: once you get a handle on this, pool care is pretty simple.

So I have been using the pool and adding liquid the past week. Adding between a quart and a few cups a day using the app calculator. I have been testing FC around 6 ish pm. Time for week two tests (around 9am). Numbers are different. Some of it I account maybe for have the SpeedStir this round which I didn't have before. Also, I seem to read the CYA test different every time. I swear I see the black dot no matter what. I am still planning on a half drain refill as soon as I can. Here are my numbers...
FC - 8.5 (I will add a quart and a half of 10%)
CC - 0
CH - 275
TA - 180
pH - 8.2 (slightly lower, the color didn't really match)
CYA - 90
CL - 5

Any suggestions? Or keep on trucking until the drain/refil?

Test results look fine. From the last full set you posted no big changes.
Maintain the FC. lower the pH.

For the CYA test ----
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

Ahhh, glance! Got it. So my CYA now is probably still at 80 or lower then. I will go to the store and get some dry acid. The app says to add 1lb, 8 oz based on 180 TA with a current of 8.1 and a target of 7.7.

Test results look fine. From the last full set you posted no big changes.
Maintain the FC. lower the pH.

For the CYA test ----
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

So anther week. This week I added about 2 - 3" of fresh water due to evap. At this point I think I am going to ride out the high CYA for the rest of the season. Here are the numbers.
FC - 12
CC - 0
CH - 250
TA - 170
CYA - 70
pH - 8.2

Added some dry acid based on what the app said. I did it for the week before also. pH doesn't seem to want to go down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.