OKLAHOMA CITY / OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I am just wondering about how long it will take for an issue to occur if someone was solely using pucks?

I have a friend that is following a completely different strategy and will not listen to me. He has a ozonator and I think an inline puck chlorination devise and I don't think he is adding any MA to the pool.

Could he survive several years, or will something likely happen this summer?

He would not need to add MA as the pucks are very acidic. More likely the pH will get low and TA will crash unless he is adding baking soda on a regular basis.

Probably will get cloudy soon and then they will use algaecide and clarifier and phos free and other potions to limp to the end of summer.

As someone who used pucks for a few years, after the prior owner used pucks for a few years. I can assure you he will eventually run into problems. It may take years though. The problem he will likely run into is the gradual build up of CYA. Eventually it will get so high that his CL won't keep the pool clean at his "normal" level. He will end up shocking (with powder and adding MORE CYA). He'll kill that algae but soon he'll get more. And he'll shock and it will come back. And he'll never be able to get rid of it even if his FC is 15-20. Then he will have to drain 2/3 of his pool and refill. Then he can start the cycle over again or switch to liquid CL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.