Tinkertoy721

Jun 2, 2021
Lowell, indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband and I bought our home last spring and it came with a pool that hadnt been opened in a year. The cover was ripped and the water was basically black. We removed the cover last summer because it was just shedding into the pool. We weren't living in the house yet so we couldn't devote time to the pool which then turned into a frog habit. We are finally living here and since May 2nd have been fighting this pool non stop with barely anything to show. We shocked it hard and got it milky blue. We were going to the "pool store" in town religiously and getting all different things to balance the water. In the beginning, our CYA was 0, FC was 0, and our Ph was low. We did what ever and added who knows what. I stopped believing them and found this site. I put in the calculator our pool info and did the amount of stablizer to get to about 40 cya. We were using strip testers and it said the cya was 0, then a few days later it was 30ish like it should be. I was so happy but the water was still a cloudy mess. We have never seen the bottom, ever. So I caved and bought the K2006 and tested the cya. HAHA. 90 is what I was getting. I was so mad. We then measured our pool and found that the previous owners told us the wrong measurements so what I was calculating as a 17k gallon pool is actually only 13.5k gallons. So I did wayyy too much stablizer. We drained our pool half way and refilled it yesterday/ this morning. It's still cloudy but not milky blue like it was. I know 1st I should test the cya again to insure it went down. But then what are my next steps with prepping the water? Is it just to raise it to SLAM again until it's clear?

TL;DR - pool was milky blue, cya was 90. Did a half drain and refilled. Now what?

Attachments

• Resized_20210603_132959.jpeg
    Resized_20210603_132959.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes test the CYA again so you know where you are at to determine the chlorine needed to slam the pool. Raise chlorine to slam level, keep the pump running, and re-check the FC every two hours. Boost back up to slam level as needed.
Did you run a pool rake (deep net) along the floor of the pool to see if there is any debris down there to scoop out?

Welcome to TFP.
Now that you got your proper test kit. Post all your test results but chlorine will be your first issue. Have you purchased liquid chlorine? How is your pool chlorinated? Is it with pucks? Best to use liquid chlorine to raise your FC quickly.

Also, take a picture of your equipment pad from 2 different angles and post that.
You are in good hands with TFP.

You have already come a long way in a very short time, welcome to TFP and prepare yourself to be in full control of your pool system and enjoying a trouble free pool experience in no time. You are going to love this place.

Welcome to TFP.
Now that you got your proper test kit. Post all your test results but chlorine will be your first issue. Have you purchased liquid chlorine? How is your pool chlorinated? Is it with pucks? Best to use liquid chlorine to raise your FC quickly.

Also, take a picture of your equipment pad from 2 different angles and post that.
You are in good hands with TFP.
We had pucks in there and were using liquid and hth powder shock?. Basically anything we could get our hands on. We are strictly liquid going forward using the Menards liquid chlorine.

CYA - 50
FC - 3
Ph - 7.2
TA - 120
CH - 110

Attachments

• 20210604_153712.jpg
    20210604_153712.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210604_153723.jpg
    20210604_153723.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Newdude
Well, shoot. I'm late to the party and you are WELL covered already !!!! Oh well. Next time. Welcome TinkerToy :)

We had pucks in there and were using liquid and hth powder shock?. Basically anything we could get our hands on. We are strictly liquid going forward using the Menards liquid chlorine.

CYA - 50
FC - 3
Ph - 7.2
TA - 120
CH - 110
Thanks for the updated test numbers and the pictures.
As indicated by others earlier, you will need to SLAM Process because your CC was 1.5 so you have something consuming on your chlorine.
Based on your volume and if you can continue to use 12.5% liquid chlorine, each 1 gal jug will raise your FC by 9ppm. You need to get to 20ppm for SLAM level so plan to purchase 6-10 gals initially to get to SLAM level and maintain it at that level for several days.
Keep us posted and if you have any additional questions.

Reactions: Tinkertoy721
10 days going, maybe 4 days of full slamming. We had electrical issues that stopped us for a few days. We put a camera in the pool to verify that the bottom was safe to enter even though you can't see it. All of the rocks in the picture were picked up yesterday. The bottom is finally clear of debris so I'm assuming the SLAM should start picking up speed now. The stair picture is from today. Thanks for the help! Slowly waiting to have a clear pool!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1597509085.jpg
    Snapchat-1597509085.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210614_172027.jpg
    20210614_172027.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.