High chlorine levels

Saltydawg15

Mar 10, 2021
Florida
I have a 15,000 gallon pool with a salt system and went in this week and my eyes were burning so I checked my levels and the chlorine was off the chart.

Here is a picture two days since I lowered the salt system to the lowest level.

My PH levels were a little low.

Having owned a pool for years but always paying someone to maintain it I was bling sided. What should I be doing to get my numbers back in check?

AEB50EDF-DFD0-47B8-AFE3-D9CCD75930D9.jpeg

HEY!! Welcome to TFP!! :shark:

First, I would recommend reading through this...LINK-->Pool Care Basics

Second, I would get a test kit that has a better indicator for FC, which is the FAS-DPD standard...it will pay for itself. Get one with the salt option. LINK-->Test Kits Compared
A good test kit has saved me $1000s.

Third, I would read this article so you can understand the relationship between CYA and FC, and the FC levels required to sanitize a pool. LINK-->FC/CYA Levels

Last, there really is nothing that is practical to reduce FC. Turn off your SWCG and FC will come down over time. Sun is the best medicine to reduce FC. Depending on your CYA level, it may or may not be safe to swim. Unless you know your CYA level, may be best to stay out of the pool until you get your test kit. Generally it is safe to swim up to SLAM level FC (see the CYA article). Above that level of FC, you should not swim.

pH in the 7s is just fine, will rise over time. Having a proper test kit will allow us to help you with all your pool parameters...FC, CH, CYA, TA, Salt...

Reactions: Mdragger88
The single most important thing in getting your pool under control is a proper test kit. Test kits, especially poor quality ones like those they use test strips, can vary a lot from accurate. The test kit specified above uses lab grade reagents for accurate, dependable and repeatable tests.

Having owned a pool for years but always paying someone to maintain it I was bling sided. What should I be doing to get my numbers back in check?
Welcome to TFP! Just about everybody on this site had an initial challenge that got them internet searching and they end up here. Rest assured there are no ulterior motives by asking you to buy a recommended test kit. My first pool, the builder gave me a test kit where the chlorine and pH vial looked just like the one in your photo. As you can see the chlorine side of the test only goes up to 3 ppm and I can assure you that "ideal" chlorine level is not 1.0 - 1.5 ppm.

Check out the links above for the free chlorine/cyanuric acid (FC/CYA) relationship and definitely check out purchasing one of the recommend test kits. The amount of money you used to pay the pool service company for one month of work, you can purchase a kit and buy an adult beverage as you read the directions. And even if you don't like reading, you can find how to videos on youtube. You might think that this site is trying to sell you something before you can get any help. It is not like that at all. It is just extremely difficult to help you with your pool water chemistry levels if you don't know your current pool water chemistry numbers. Even more this site doesn't sell test kits. With all that said, pull up a chair, welcome to the site!

Thank you, will work on getting a proper test kit.
Aaaand salty is off…
Car Go GIF by US National Archives

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.