BrantlyJ

Jul 11, 2021
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m another thread I made someone said I needed FC at 10-13 ppm.
I told my wife and she just about fell out of her chair. She runs a swim school, about 5000 students a week, and she keeps the pool at 2 ppm. In Iowa the state will shut down a public pool at 10 ppm.

Not looking to start an argument but she’s wondering how everyone is preventing chemical burns and such.

It is all about the FC to CYA ratios, so the higher CYA buffers the FC and causes you to need more FC.

Keep in mind that the advice here is for residential pools for daily testing/maintenance. Many times public pools are limited in how much CYA they can use, and some places do not allow CYA at all. With little to no CYA, a FC of 2.0 is going to be much harsher than a residential pool in line with TFP levels. Also, with no CYA the 2 FC will have to be constantly monitored and maintained through the day... not something that is practical for backyard pools.

I keep my FC at 7+, but since my CYA is 60 or so, it doesnt have a harsh feel or smell. I actually get tons of compliments on how "little chlorine" my pool has and that it doesnt bother their skin or eyes. At this point I just smile and say thank you, rather than try to explain that my FC is "off the charts" compared to the traditional pool levels.

In reality, I suspect the FC is not really as high as it reads. Much of it is bound to the CYA and the tests are unable to distinguish between FC by itself and FC bound to CYA.

But when the bound up FC is needed, it’s able to break free from the CYA and go to work.

Is my understanding correct?

I told my wife and she just about fell out of her chair. She runs a swim school, about 5000 students a week, and she keeps the pool at 2 ppm. In Iowa the state will shut down a public pool at 10 ppm.
You did not indicate but is this pool inside? It may not have any CYA in it therefore the requirement for low FF ppm is accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.