ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
FC: 10
PH: 7.4
TA: 60
CYA: 55
CH: 600

I'm in Southern California and I've been at this house for 11 years and never done anything about that really high CH. Part of it is I'm not sure what the local regulations are, and I fear exorbitant costs if I go and ask the city about dumping then replacing my water. I just tested my hose water, and the hose water is CH 260. If I were to empty the pool, I don't know how long my CH would stay that low.

What should I do? How important is it to empty the pool and refill under these circumstances? Sometime in the next few years I will probably resurface the pool too, so figure that into the equation.

Thanks!

My fill water is also 260ppm CH and my pool is fine, I just keep a closer eye on the CSI; especially now that I have a SWCG.

I replaced my pool water in December 2019 and now the CH is around 600ppm, which has been manageable for me. I'll have to drain the pool eventually but for the time being I've just been keeping my TA, and pH on the low side to keep the CSI within the correct range.

From what I read the best thing you can do is plumb your pool's autofill to a water softener. I have a water softener and I bought most of the tools/materials to plumb the autofil to the softener, so whenever I muster up the courage to install all the pipes I'll "fix" the high CH issue. However for me it probably cost about $200 to drain and re-fill so it isn't the end of the world to do every few years.

As CW noted, supplement top-offs with soft water, use a cover if possible to reduce evaporation, and employ water collection from the rare rains if possible. Aside from that, good chemistry (especially the pH) should help you get 18-24 months between exchanges. Try to schedule your water exchanges in the cooler months to protect the exposed plaster from the intense summer heat.

Reactions: Cwiggs
What should I do?
Manage your CSI as the others have said.

If it has taken 11 years to go from 260 ppm to 600 ppm, you are very lucky. You must have little evaporation (which is reasonable as you have foggy nights and days in summer). Here in the desert, our CH will nearly triple in just over a year.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.