High Amps / Salt message, but salt is about 3,000 ppm

oliverleveritt

Jul 13, 2019
Davenport, Iowa
I was getting the conflicting readings on two successive "Diagnostics Menu" salt readings. One reading would always show salt at 700-800 ppm and the next would show it at 3000-3100 ppm. My salt test strips indicate that it is in the 2900-3100 ppm range. I figured that since the cell was 4 years old, I was probably seeing the polarity breakdown issue. Then, I started getting the High Amps / Salt message and "salt cell shut down".
I have a Hayward Aqua Logic system with Hayward Goldline T-15 cell. I replaced the cell with identical new.
Same messages. I unlocked the configuration menu to verify that the correct salt cell was in the config -- yep, "T-15".

Would a bad control board cause this? Where to look next? When this whole thing started, the pool turned dark brown almost overnight. I have been dosing with shock and liquid chlorinator while running the pump 24 hrs per day. After 4 days of constant monitoring and adding chlorine, the water is now merely cloudy. Not quite there yet, but I'm getting a bit worn with all of it. I haven't been able to get the chlorine levels (total & free) up to desired levels even with the constant additions. It isn't burning off due to sunlight, because I close the cover when not visually monitoring, etc.

Go to diagnostics and check the readings. Then, press the + button to reverse polarity and see what the new diagnostics show. Then, press the + button again to reverse one more time and see what the new diagnostics are.

Go to diagnostics and check the readings. Then, press the + button to reverse polarity and see what the new diagnostics show. Then, press the + button again to reverse one more time and see what the new diagnostics are.
It seems that the polarity discrepancy was eliminated via replacement of salt cell, but the fact that I have absolutely identical readings on three successive runs is also suspect.. Volts/amps are too high. Salt reading is low. Salt strips indicate around 3000 ppm. There is no way the salt level is high. I keep this pool very stable. No salt has been added in 2-3 weeks. Images show status message and two consecutive diag runs.

Attachments

• IMG_0658 Err Msg b.jpg
    IMG_0658 Err Msg b.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0659 Diag 1 b.jpg
    IMG_0659 Diag 1 b.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0660 Diag 2 b.jpg
    IMG_0660 Diag 2 b.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0656 Model b.jpg
    IMG_0656 Model b.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My control board is Gold Line Controls PN: G1-066008N-1 for whatever that is worth. Inside the box, I see the identification AQL-P-4. I'm trying to verify the correct replacement. I find references to the
Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic Main Circuit Board GLX-PCB-MAIN on searches. One of the pool supply companies said they are "90 percent sure" that is the correct replacement. I obviously need to be 100% certain. Anyone familiar with AQL-P-4?

Attachments

• IMG_0656 Model b.jpg
    IMG_0656 Model b.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
GLX-PCB-MAIN is the correct part. However, you can probably fix it with a dab of solder. See this recent thread with the exact same problem.

Reactions: Hootz
GLX-PCB-MAIN is the correct part. However, you can probably fix it with a dab of solder. See this recent thread with the exact same problem.

Cool. Thank you very much! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.