Hi, New pool owner in Northern NY!

erica829

Aug 3, 2019
New york
Hello,

This is a wonderful forum. I cant wait to learn so much from all of you other pool lovers!
So, question for you. I have added algaecide to my pool and want to add chlorine bc it reads j have none yet you can smell it from the shock 2 days ago. How soon can i add liquid chlorine after algaecide?

Welcome to TFP!?
You may want to post this in another part of the forum so the righ folks see it. Probably under
Just Getting Started.

In the mean time add your pool information to your signature so the experts can better help you.

I also suggest perusing through pool school.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

First of all, please don't add any more algaecide. It probably contains copper which you don't want in your pool water.

The shock product you added before is chlorine. But it also likely contains CYA which you do need, but too much CYA causes problems so we like to steer clear of powdered chlorine "shock" in general. The reason you can smell it is because it's been killing something in the water and the odor is the byproduct of that activity. A properly chlorinated and sanitized pool doesn't smell like anything.

Chlorine can be added any time. Just pour it slowly in front of your return.

You will want to get a good test kit ASAP. See Test Kits Compared

Take some time to read up in Pool School and more specifically:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

For quick and easy learning, check out these videos (and all the rest of the videos on YouTube).