Hi from Sydney Australia - the pool has a mind of its own.

NudeyRudey

Dec 27, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Been a pool owner for 5 years and the last year has been hard work in keeping it clear.

I had been getting the water tested at a pool shop previously, but now I just seem to be throwing chemicals at it and then it would start going green again within 2 weeks.

They tested the SWG and said it’s ok, my sand filter could be past it’s due by date it’s approx 8yrs old.

25000L fibreglass pool, solar heating, currently 26 degrees Celsius.

Purchased a clear choice labs salt water kit. Did a test earlier today and logged the results, hopefully you guys can see them. I haven’t added any chemicals since. I have not played around with the target levels in the app, they are default. Also first time testing so the accuracy could be skewed!!!!!! The salt level was good when tested 2 weeks ago at the pool shop.

So I may need to SLAM it to kill the algae once and for all or something else is reeking havoc with it.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

NudeyRudey

Reactions: imagineero
Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you need to SLAM Process. The issue is a high CYA for that process. Your CYA of 80(round up) makes your SLAM FC 32 ppm. It can be done, just takes diligence. I am also concerned with the low pH and TA. I would suggest adding baking soda to raise your TA by 20 ppm and retest your pH. Prior to starting the SLAM.
Let us know if you would like to proceed.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for all the info guys, super busy at work due to Xmas/New Years, working shift and 2 kids under 2 at home.

When I have a few days off I will SLAM the pool, I will read the guides again, test and SLAM.

I will remove the light, as it’s surfaced mounted on a bracket, scrubbing that as well.

Let the fun begin.

Cheers

Nudey

Shift work does make it hard to do a great SLAM but you can still get it started so it does not get any worse. You can do the test and dose right before you leave THEN leave that same amount in a jug for the person at home to pour into the pool right in front of the return at given times (try for 3 times if possible). Make sure to leave the pump running the whole time. That way they don't have to test. Just pour and go BUT make sure they wear something over their clothes so they don't make polka dots on it.

Then when you get home you can brush the pool and test to see what is what and go from there.

about to start the SLAM process in the next day or two.

Was playing around with pool math app on my phone, when I enable the SLAM feature and input the target of the 31 - it says the target is outside of suggested range even though that is the SLAM FC value according to the chart.

SY3idQs.jpg

Also what values do I input for the following liquid chlorine (it would appear Americans call it bleach):

What type of sanitizer will you use?
Bleach Chlorine %?

The following chlorine is exactly what I have at present and can get more easily.

MSDS: https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b...duct/af62af69-65f0-402d-92a8-27766cb419a9.pdf

nsJAdHh.jpg

The app says it is out of range because when doing a SLAM you are out of the target range, on purpose. Ignore that.

The jug you show is 125g/l. Or 12.5%. Select that in the app.

Welcome mr Rudey,
My pool match calculations show you’d need to add approximately 4.2L of chlorine to bring your FC level up from 10 to 32. Have you verified your CYA by any other means? It’s the hardest test to consistently get accurate results from with the CCL test.

To make the most of your SLAM, get busy straight away with a brush and hit every nook and cranny, lights, behind/under stairs etc. Verify the success of your SLAM with an overnight chlorine loss test.

Doing a deep clean of your filter sand can be worthwhile, or just straight up replacing your sand. It’s not as hard as it seems and not especially expensive either. I found a reasonably priced pool shop in castle hill and replaced all of the sand in my s600 filter which cleans a 60,000L pool for $120.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.