Hi Everyone...New Member Here, Same Old Problems

I'm not sure what it is, no. I've never had a white powder like substance on the floor before, I've had dirt and what I now know was dead algae but this is new.

How do you dose your pool? Liquid? Have you used any type of powdered shock? Powdered stabilizer? Maybe the sand filter needs to have a deep cleaning. Or you can try a DE alternative to filter at a smaller level.

Your CSI (you can turn on tracking that in the app, look in the Settings) is ~0.2. So I doubt it is calcium if the test results are correct. Realize the pH test is invalid when your FC is above 10 ppm.

I would vacuum it up. It will be captured by the filter.

Just test FC from now on until you do a OCLT and then you can test CC. No need to burn through your reagents for the other tests.

How do you dose your pool? Liquid? Have you used any type of powdered shock? Powdered stabilizer? Maybe the sand filter needs to have a deep cleaning. Or you can try a DE alternative to filter at a smaller level.

when I was in a pinch last week, I used power powder plus shock, then i switch to liquid chlorine which i'm using now. My normal method or chlorinating the pool is using pucks.

Your CSI (you can turn on tracking that in the app, look in the Settings) is ~0.2. So I doubt it is calcium if the test results are correct. Realize the pH test is invalid when your FC is above 10 ppm.

I would vacuum it up. It will be captured by the filter.

Just test FC from now on until you do a OCLT and then you can test CC. No need to burn through your reagents for the other tests.

Thank you very much for all your help.

quick update, got home too late for an OCLT so I'll do that tonight. Keeping my pool at shock level today.

I attempted to vacuum the white powder on the floor of the pool and it immediately started coming out of the return jet, so whatever it is must be too fine to captured by the filter, so I put the garden hose in the pool and upped my level and vacuumed it to waste. I know I got a lot of it but I also stirred it up into the water so it will take a few vacuuming times but i think that's the best path forward now.

You will need to SLAM the pool once your kit arrives as there is no way around this one. For now, add 5 ppm of bleach. If your pressure rises 25% and you have to backwash, then after backwashing add another 5 ppm. If you find that your pressure does not rise as fast, then you may want to add just a little more. The water will go from green to milky white pretty quickly (within 30 minutes) because bleach has fast kill rates.

When is the kit being shipped out?

Backwashing does not lower your chlorine level, so there is no need to add chlorine just because you backwash.

quick update, got home too late for an OCLT so I'll do that tonight. Keeping my pool at shock level today.

I attempted to vacuum the white powder on the floor of the pool and it immediately started coming out of the return jet, so whatever it is must be too fine to captured by the filter, so I put the garden hose in the pool and upped my level and vacuumed it to waste. I know I got a lot of it but I also stirred it up into the water so it will take a few vacuuming times but i think that's the best path forward now.

You could have channels in your sand. Try adding DE as Marty recommended. If this does not work, maybe there is something that is entering from the outside elements. Then try a deep sand cleaning as well. Last resort is new sand as it is usually not needed. Maybe there is some construction debris from somewhere around you that could be entering the pool?

After rereading your original post, I think you may be right that part of your issues could be the result of the fact that the filter drain plug was not removed for the winter. Especially since you mention that the pool has been dirtier this year than last. It's possible that the laterals in your filter were damaged during the freezing and thawing. If damaged, larger particles than usual would be allowed to make it through the filter and back into the pool. I think damaged laterals can also encourage channeling as referenced above.

It may be worth it to break down the filter and inspect the laterals and replace if damaged.

Thanks for feedback on the white powder. I planned on doing a deep cleaning or sand replacement in the spring when I opened it back up. I agree that I think I need to inspect the laterals just to be safe

In other news did a OCLT and last night it was 20ppm and this morning it was 19, so I think I'm done my slam?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.