Hi Everyone...New Member Here, Same Old Problems

Back wash when your filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Brushing daily is suggested during a SLAM. At this point, OK to do but until you can get to SLAM FC you are in a holding pattern.

Ok, noted. I have been reading different articles in Pool School, which is an amazing resource. Another thing I know I need to do is replace my gauge, it's cloudy and the pressure is at 30 when the filter is off so it's not working properly.

Ok, will get on that. I think this is my last question for now haha.

In the next week, my "holding pattern". Do I run my filter continuously, adding the chlorine each night or once it's not green anymore do I run it my normal 3-4 hours per day?

No reason to run the pump all the time until you SLAM. Normal cycle is fine after adding chlorine.

Ok, will get on that. I think this is my last question for now haha.

In the next week, my "holding pattern". Do I run my filter continuously, adding the chlorine each night or once it's not green anymore do I run it my normal 3-4 hours per day?

Are you in the process of a SLAM now because of a green pool? Not green anymore indicates you have algae. Therefore, you must SLAM the pool. Pump is running 24/7 until you finish the SLAM. Chlorine additions should be done through the day so you keep the level up to SLAM as best as possible. Dips in the level will prolong the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

My current status is that I'm green, but I don't have the proper testing kit, so I was advised to add 5ppm of bleach/chlorine each day until I can do the proper testing and then go from there. Once I get my test kit next week I anticipate I may have to SLAM it.

My current status is that I'm green, but I don't have the proper testing kit, so I was advised to add 5ppm of bleach/chlorine each day until I can do the proper testing and then go from there. Once I get my test kit next week I anticipate I may have to SLAM it.

You will need to SLAM the pool once your kit arrives as there is no way around this one. For now, add 5 ppm of bleach. If your pressure rises 25% and you have to backwash, then after backwashing add another 5 ppm. If you find that your pressure does not rise as fast, then you may want to add just a little more. The water will go from green to milky white pretty quickly (within 30 minutes) because bleach has fast kill rates.

When is the kit being shipped out?

I shocked it last night and this morning with power powder plus and today when I got home from work it was cloudy but blue. I just added 5ppm liquid chlorine to it and I'm going to let the filter run for another 3-4 hours.

Kit is coming to me by next Friday

SunMo:

Just realized you have an AGP. Once you finish the SLAM, it is important to maintain the CYA/FC relationship, but just as important brushing at least twice weekly. AGP have limited circulation and brushing alone with reduce most problems. Also, you may want to maintain a higher FC based on CYA, at least 1-2 ppm higher. Please report back to use once you get your kit. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maintain your FC at shock level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. For 60 CYA that is 24 ppm FC.

Did you test CH? The white powder could be dead algae. But you have also have been using Cal Hypo so want to be sure your CH is not so high you are getting scale.

It will drop soon. Check in the morning. Then add liquid chlorine to raise it back to 24 ppm FC.

View attachment 86096Well my test kit finally arrived. The water is blue and I can see the bottom but not completely clearly. There is a white powder on the floor of the pool which I assume is algae? Let me know what you think I should do

I didn't test CH but I will do that in the morning. What do I do to maintain 24ppm? Don't add anything for now and keep testing until it gets down to 24?

After you test your CH, you just need to do the FC test until the end of the SLAM, (every couple hours if possible) and whenever your FC is below your SLAM target of 24ppm, enter it in the PoolMath App, then "tap" the box that says FC, enter your SLAM target of 24, scroll down and enter the percentage of bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) on the bottle and the App will tell your how much to add to get back up to your SLAM level.

Other notes about the pool this morning. The water is clear and I can see the floor, the floor has a lot of wite powder on it which could be calcium based on what mknauss told me yesterday. Should I be brushing that up or vacuuming it out of the water completely?

Based on the criteria for when your slam is done, I will try an OCLT tonight and see what tomorrow reads.

Other notes about the pool this morning. The water is clear and I can see the floor, the floor has a lot of wite powder on it which could be calcium based on what mknauss told me yesterday. Should I be brushing that up or vacuuming it out of the water completely?

Based on the criteria for when your slam is done, I will try an OCLT tonight and see what tomorrow reads.

Calcium should dissolve. Are you sure it is calcium and nothing else? Calcium heats up and melts real quickly, so I do not know where you would be getting this from. I would vacuum to waste and dump out of the pool, unless you have a skimmer sock to pick everything up.

Calcium should dissolve. Are you sure it is calcium and nothing else? Calcium heats up and melts real quickly, so I do not know where you would be getting this from. I would vacuum to waste and dump out of the pool, unless you have a skimmer sock to pick everything up.

I'm not sure what it is, no. I've never had a white powder like substance on the floor before, I've had dirt and what I now know was dead algae but this is new.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.