Here we go! Help with decision plz.

FYI, a “saltwater” pool is a “chlorine “ pool. And a “chlorine “ pool often becomes a “saltwater” pool over time.

Darren,

Saltwater pools are the easiest type of pools to maintain.. I have three of them and would not be able to maintain them all if they were not saltwater pools.

That said, you still have to routinely test and make sure to keep the water balanced. You have to understand how to operate a saltwater pool, and how the Saltwater Chlorine Generator or SWCG works. These are things that this site was designed to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mihzyd777
Chlorine dosing with a salt water pool:
Step 1 - Whip out my phone and make an adjustment (maybe monthly, based on chlorine usage)

Chlorine dosing with a non-salt water pool, with liquid chlorine (recommended over pucks):
Step 1 - Find/Buy gallons of liquid chlorine
Step 2 - Measure out liquid chlorine
Step 3 - Pour in chlorine
Repeat 364 more times for the year

Chlorine dosing with a non-salt water pool, using pucks
Step 1 - Add pucks to a floater or inline chlorinator
Step 2 - Refill the pucks
Step 3 - Tell people how easy pool maintenance is
Step 4 - (months down the road) wake up to a green pool
Step 5 - Go to the pool store, buy magic potion
Step 6 - Add magic potion, keep the algae at bay. Repeat step 4-6 for several months/years
Step 7 - Find TFP
Step 8 - Learn about CYA
Step 9 - Learn how to drain your pool to lower the CYA
Step 10 - Refill the pool
Step 11 - Buy a ton of liquid chlorine to SLAM the pool
Step 12 - Switch to salt water or liquid chlorine

I would say yes on the SWG. And here is this week's reason why. Tropical Storm Eta hit us twice. Once when it was passing southern FL and again when it was headed up Tampa's way. It's been nasty off and on for a week. I usually try to pamper my pool every Sunday by doing a chemical check and dumping the ol' dolphin in. Well this week has been so nasty I didn't even want to venture outside. And guess what, I don't have to. I know the SWG has it taken care of and I can get out tomorrow, or maybe Saturday, or even wait until my normal maintenance day. I was never able to maintain my pool only once per week (or more in this case) when using anything but a SWG.

If your pool builder doesn't know you want a Salt Water Generator, you need to tell him soon.
The pool pad needs to be bigger
And he needs to order the stuff for it.

The water isn't salt tasting. I'm told it's easier on the skin and hair.
It is harder on your plants and grass -- Salt water always is.
The cost up front is more but you'll save a lot over time on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Darren,

Do you plan to use your pool to sanitize your sewage??? :mrgreen:

Was finding the sewer line a surprise?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Haha, yeah, you're gonna need a BIG saltwater cell once you cut that sewage pipe!!!

But yes for me, in 9 out of 10 cases, go with salt. Don't ask me what the 1 out of 10 case would be. I just don't like absolutes - most of the time.

Add another “Yes“ on swg. If the builder doesn’t want to do it, remind him that he works for you and it’s your pool.
From maintenance to far less shopping trip to the ease on the skin and hair, worth every cent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.