Here is Another DFW Build

Looking good, and going to be a long night. Do you plan on adding a second hose?

Also did you builder tell you when to start filling the spa? Mine said to do it when the water got the the height of the jets.

Reactions: JPerry2332
Looking good, and going to be a long night. Do you plan on adding a second hose?

Also did you builder tell you when to start filling the spa? Mine said to do it when the water got the the height of the jets.

You don’t want water from the pool back flowing out the spa jets and streaking the plaster under the spa returns. So get another hose going and the spa filled when the water is near the pool returns.

We are still filling! The water is about an inch from the tile, so getting pretty close. We did get rain, but it’s been light. Also, it was about 21 hrs after plaster was installed. The pool builder told me to fill the spa after the pool is filled.

It’s done! I’ll get some photos up after pool start-up. I’ll let them set up chemicals to their spec, and I’ll shift to the TFP method once the PB is out of the picture.

Best for you to keep track of all chemical additions your PB does from the fill.

Reactions: Prosperjl
I asked the PB again about SWG, here is the response. For those of you with a SWG and 2+ seasons in TX, please let me know your thoughts:

PB Response:
Having had a pool with a salt cell before, I’m not a big fan because:
1. You have to add acid each week to maintain the ph
2. The cell will need to be removed and soaked in an acid bath quarterly
3. The salt will corrode everything around the pool
4. The stone will need to be sealed and resealed every couple years
5. They don’t produce enough chlorine in the summer, so you still have to add chlorine
6. The cell will need to be replaced every 5-7 yrs
7. The upfront cost including sealing the stone is a little pricey (we usually sell it with the easy touch 4 or 8, but I’ll find out the stand alone cost)

It’s entirely up to you, and I know it sounds strange to not try to sell you one, but I don’t think they are worth the money.

If you’re looking for softer water, I recommend adding biogaurd during startup. We used to sell it, but sold off our chemical / supply business, but you can find it online.

I've never had to add acid to my salty pool since I took ownership of it 10 months ago . pH always seems to be around 7.2-7.6. TA about 80. (usually add baking soda to control this)
Never had to seal any stones.
I have my SWG on 75% in summer with the hot sun and kids playing in it. Sometimes turn it down to 50% when I've had the cover on it for several days. Running about 7-8 hours a day.
My cell is over 10 years old and still pumps out loads of chlorine.
Salt can corrode non-stainless steel objects, yes but most pool railings etc are aluminium aren't they?

Reactions: Prosperjl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
are you sure you want such a shallow pool? Your kids ages mean they want to jump etc. and 5 foot too shallow.... plus it will be that much hotter in the summer. My first pool was play pool 5 foot in middle... and I love my now pool that is normal pool with 6.5 feet deep end.. just something to consider..... Plus most people dont know middle is deeper and always are confused, I was always telling people, jump in middle, its deepest.. hated it!

Texgirl - The OP just filled his pool, so guessing you meant to reply to another tread.

Prosper - Hows it going? Have they been able to turn everything on with all of this rain?

Prosper - Hows it going? Have they been able to turn everything on with all of this rain?

Yes, I came home yesterday to a running pool with sheer descents flowing, tanning ledge bubbling, and spa fountain spraying...it was great to see! Unfortunately, we might have a problem...

I have 6 rows of 1 inch tile, and filled the pool halfway up the tile, 3 rows. Post start-up I noticed the water only covered 2 rows... I chalked up the loss to filling the volume of plumbing / large plumbing run and filter volume, and filled the pool back up to the 3rd row. This morning I went out to brush, the pool was off, and given it was 6:00 A.M, dark, and low 40 degree temp, my focus was not on the pool water line.

When I got home from work, I went outside to brush, and knew something was wrong. The pool was running, but the water line had dropped 1.5 inches. I called the PB, and they had me shut it off and fill it back up. They are coming out tomorrow with the leak detection vendor to assess. Yikes! Fingers crossed it’s a quick fix.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Dang, I hate that. What did they find out?

Pinch a penny on Custer Rd (across from home depot) has the leak detection kits with the dye syringe for like $4. Ultimately your PB should do all of the work, but if you are curious on trying to find a leak that may be worth a shot.

Their leak detection company came out and located the leak from a jet at the spa. The spa has been isolated, and the Plumber is coming out Monday to repair. Although unfortunate, I’m glad to be dealing with this now than rather than months down the road. Fortunately the relationship with the PB is good, and they have been handling appropriately. More to come...

Thats good news, and I just had a leak detection company out yesterday.

I had been losing about 1/4 to 1/2" of water a day. I had no standing water or obvious leak signs but it just seemed off. I did the dye test, the PB did the dye test, then the PB sent the leak detection company. They did the pressure test and found it. It looks like the irrigation guy nicked one of the pool returns when fixing the sprinklers. It should be an easy fix, and hopefully yours is too. PM me if you want the name of the leak detection company.

Thats good news, and I just had a leak detection company out yesterday.

I had been losing about 1/4 to 1/2" of water a day. I had no standing water or obvious leak signs but it just seemed off. I did the dye test, the PB did the dye test, then the PB sent the leak detection company. They did the pressure test and found it. It looks like the irrigation guy nicked one of the pool returns when fixing the sprinklers. It should be an easy fix, and hopefully yours is too. PM me if you want the name of the leak detection company.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they square it away soon. My leak is near an irrigation line as well...sounds like a similar situation... I’ll reach out if I need to pull in an external vendor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.