jadkkd

Aug 25, 2021
rye nh
I am trying to install an in ground pool in at the new home I am building. Since the land abutts conservation land the town of Rye is only allowing chemical free pools. I do not want to build a "living pond" and would rather build a conventional pool. The town has already turned down my application for an ecosmarte pool utilizing copper to clean. They claim the copper level would be too high and affect fish in streams. I need a solution. I was thinking of a large holding tank? My grandkids are counting on me to get this pool built. Thanks so much.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Residential pools require chlorine for sanitation. There's just no way around it. But the pool is isolated from any public water areas, so perhaps I'm not understanding why the request of a chemical free pool. :scratch: Whether a holding tank, regular above ground pool, or even in inground plaster/vinyl, it's gong to need chlorine. Copper is not a valid sanitizer, nor is any other mineral system. You need chlorine properly managed and tested with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit.

But the pool is isolated from any public water areas, so perhaps I'm not understanding why the request of a chemical free pool. :scratch:
It is next to conservation land. I think they are concerned about backwash, overflow or breach of the pool allowing water with chemicals into conservation land.

If a person is living there they have a sewer or some other sanitary method of waste disposal. The effluent from the pool would just go to that. Besides, the tiny volume your pool has would have no effect on the area. Far more contaminants fall from the sky.

Marty thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the town planning board have become the experts and they have decided I cannot just flush the pool with the chemicals that are in it. I've got to find a way to reduce the chemicals to a very minimal level. I thought maybe a holding tank would work even if I had to pay someone to pump out the holding tank but I'm not having any luck. There isn't any town sewer , everyone has septic systems which I am obviously installing.

Take them a SDS for the CYA that you will be utilizing. Other than that you will not have any "chemicals." You will have chlorine which will dissipate and muractic acid (weak hydrochloric acid) for pH control. Explain to them them the low CYA concentration that you will be using (40-70 ppm). This should be more than enough information for them to permit you to have your pool.
Tell them there is no way that you would ever utilize the "copper or other metals stuff" that may be bad for the conservation land.
Your start up back-wash would consist of algae and other naturally occurring organics. Another thing would to make sure that your backwash/pumpout does not infringe on their property, make a plan to use it on your lawn. It is pretty easy to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New Hampshire the "Live Free or Die" state. HA!

Vote the bums out!

Note to self - scratch that state off our retirement list.

All other comments self censored due to their political nature.

Take them a SDS for the CYA that you will be utilizing. Other than that you will not have any "chemicals." You will have chlorine which will dissipate and muractic acid (weak hydrochloric acid) for pH control. Explain to them them the low CYA concentration that you will be using (40-70 ppm). This should be more than enough information for them to permit you to have your pool.
Tell them there is no way that you would ever utilize the "copper or other metals stuff" that may be bad for the conservation land.
Your start up back-wash would consist of algae and other naturally occurring organics. Another thing would to make sure that your backwash/pumpout does not infringe on their property, make a plan to use it on your lawn. It is pretty easy to do.
Thanks Darin. The town of Rye planning board only cares about the pool being chemical free. It doesn't care about bacteria levels in the pool. So I have to show them how I can control the chlorine or whatever I use to a level where it is below the state of new hampshire code for surface water quality.

John

You will be in good shape. Just go with the SDS for CYA and you back flush plan. These rules are written for furface water problems due to NPDES, solid waste and or RCRA problems. Plus your pH of the pool will be with the 6 - 8 range.

It is a Safety Data Sheet (previously known as MSDS) document that all products that are sold must be available to purchasers. You can download it from the CYA manufacturers website or get a copy from wherever you purchase your chlorine stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.