Mrspage8733

Jun 30, 2021
Columbus, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need help. We have a 23,500 gallon in ground pool. We do not have a cover for the pool so during the winter it gets all kind of stuff in it. Last year I was able to get it all cleared up and we were able to swim in it. This year however.. I have been slamming for almost a month. CC is 0.5 or less. Trying to keep my FC between 12-16 for the SLAM But the water is very cloudy. I cannot get a reading for my CYA and my mother in law who taught me the TFP method said to just slam it anywhere between 30-50 cya. My TA is at 120 or so. I have the TF 100 kit, the Taylor drop test kit so I know the results should be accurate. What am I doing wrong? My ONCL is only losing a few points but I always end up testing a little too late in the morning (my toddler doesn't always cooperate with me lol). We really want it clean before the summer is over and I have spent a fortune on bleach. My PH is 7.4 but with the slam I cant get a accurate reading on it.. CH is 250 TA 120

Oh I forgot to add that is it a vinyl liner and we are using a hayward sand filter with a variable speed pump. I also vacuum and brush daily along with backwashing as needed. Pump is running 24/7 12 hours on high 12 hours on low

Hello Mrs Page and Welcome to TFP

Would you mind elaborating why you can't get a read on CYA?

With a CYA of 30 your SLAM would be 12, while with a CYA of 50 your SLAM would be 20. If you SLAM at 20, but your CYA is indeed 30 you risk damaging your liner.

Did you add any other chemicals to your pool?

I was told by my mother in law who cleaned the pool the first few times when it had been neglected for years.. That you couldnt get an accurate cya reading until the pool cleared up. Since its still cloudy I have been guessing on the cya. She used the TFP method so Ive been trusting what she says but I have found that some of her info was incorrect. When i tested it at the beginning of the slam it was zero.. I did add cya increaser in a sock but I only added enough to raise it 15 to 20 points because I didnt want it to go over. When I do the TF 100 kit CYA test I can fill it slam full and I can still see the dot in the bottom. I went with the cya of 40 which the pool math app told me FC level of 16 which is what ive been trying to mantain. Im new to all of this so bare with me if I am all over the place. The only chemicals i have added were the cya increaser, baking soda to bring up my TA which was really low and then 73% cal hypo is what we started slamming with (she said I could use that to slam) which I felt like it was making it cloudy so now ive switched to just liquid bleach.

Im new to all of this so bare with me if I am all over the place.
That is definitively OK.

Your issue seems beyond my knowledge and I'm sure an expert will pitch in soon. That won't stop me from asking questions I believe anyone helping you will need answers for.
I know Cal-Hypo with high TA can cause calcium scaling to form in the water, but since your CH is not too high as I understand it should dissolve back. For how long are you having cloudy water after you stopped using Cal-Hypo?

How frequently are you able to test the FC on your water?

My ONCL is only losing a few points
I guess you meant Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. How much are "few points"?

Are you back washing your filter?

Maybe @Jimrahbe or @zea3 who are showing online could help you.

Yes sorry I meant the OCLT it only dropped 3 points but I wasnt able to take the test till about 1030 or 11am and by that time the sun has already gotten to it.. We dont have much shade around the pool. Well we used only liquid for at least a week.. I did put some cal hypo and liquid bleach in it last night to raise the FC because I was low on the liquid but I bought more today. Im using 7.14% bleach

I think we need to help you get to some basics:
- You can test the CYA with cloudy water, and you do need at least a CYA of 30. Even if you go over a bit to 40 that's fine, it's only a small increase in chlorine. But you must have CYA. Without it, teh sun steals the FC and the liner is susceptible to damage.
- If you haven't done so already, be sure the pH is at about 7.2 before increasing to your FC level.
- Once those two things are done, focus on the FC level and maintaining it. Don't bother with TA or anything else. It's all about inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining the FC level. Hang in there!

Oh, and stick to liquid chlorine. Save teh cal-jypo for later.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok cool. So I can test for CYA and it be accurate even during the SLAM? How should I bring the CYA up? The sock method or can I add it straight to the water to raise it quickly? Also i have this beige colored stuff that keeps settling on the stairs and floor of the pool. When I brush it it kicks up everywhere... Dead algae im guessing?? Its not dirt, when you try to touch it it literally disappears...

Attachments

• 16250927864405636625091346656264.jpg
    16250927864405636625091346656264.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 19
The sock method puts it directly in the pool water - you don’t want to just dump it directly in the pool as it takes time to dissolve & could bleach out your surfaces.
Pour it in a sock, tie a knot in the sock. Hang the sock in front of a return w/out it touching the pool wall. Every now & then squeeze the sock, as it absorbs the water it will get easy to squish. 9CE94D47-C384-45B9-AFDC-2B598C43CBEA.jpeg

Reactions: Mrspage8733

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sock method puts it directly in the pool water - you don’t want to just dump it directly in the pool as it takes time to dissolve & could bleach out your surfaces.
Pour it in a sock, tie a knot in the sock. Hang the sock in front of a return w/out it touching the pool wall. Every now & then squeeze the sock, as it absorbs the water it will get easy to squish. View attachment 350881
Thank you!!!

Be sure the sock doesn't rest against the pool wall while it's soaking. CYA is acid, while not nearly as strong as muriatic, it has been known to bleach a wall if the sock rests against it. I use a stick long enough to overhang a good bit.

Be sure the sock doesn't rest against the pool wall while it's soaking. CYA is acid, while not nearly as strong as muriatic, it has been known to bleach a wall if the sock rests against it. I use a stick long enough to overhang a good bit.
Will do. I am going to lower my PH then add the CYA sock and resume my SLAM! Thank yall so much. Oh did anyone see the photo I posted and asked about the dead algae..?? I guessing that is what it is but im not 100%

Oh did anyone see the photo I posted and asked about the dead algae..?? I guessing that is what it is but im not 100%
Really hard to tell in the pic. But dead algae will begin to transition from having color to light grey/off-white.

Just so we can help better: Can you please add to your signature to put in your pool info?

To confirm, you've been getting a FC reading, right? We just need to get your CYA, pH, and FC to the right places, and then you should be making progress if you check it often (multiple times a day) and keep that FC up to where it should be. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Okay. So last night I added Muriatic Acid to lower my PH some... It kept adding a little at a time and retesting... Finally got it down to 7.2 added my CYA sock and got it up to 17 FC woke up today and retested so I could adjust my FC and my PH is back up! What does that mean??

I did add some water to the pool last night cause it was low from backwashing.... Could that cause it go back up? I test our well water and the PH is really low so I shouldn't have caused this, right? Also I made sure to have the hose down in the pool water instead of on the surface so it didn't aerate it. Idk what to do.. Keep adding the acid? My TA hasnt changed at all...

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.