Ok last questionS for now...I bought liquid chlorine and acid today at Lowe’s. What do you use for the calcium hardness? Can I just use regular bleach or better to get the liquid chlorine? Soda ash or borax? I don’t want to go to leslies if I don’t have to!! I am ready to have a trouble free pool! Should I also order the kit tf-100 from TF site or the Taylor 2005C? I am going to order now so it can get here quick!
I got the k2006c and wish I had gotten the TF-100. It has a better spread for pool owners instead of commercial pool care companies.

For calcium you would want calcium chloride. It is mainly sold as a de-icer for cold climates but I have trouble finding it even up here during the summer. I buy my CYA online - if I had to increase CH (recently I did as it was very low and we just got a heater - normally I don’t care if it’s low because of the vinyl liner), and I got my Calcium from the pool section at Ace Hardware. Online probably would have been cheaper.

Ok so I am super worried about my plaster and that I messed it up somehow by draining it. I’m praying it isn’t. And is there a certain way to add these chemicals so you don’t mess anything up? I am asking because I notice on the leslies recommendations that it always suggests an order of things to put first and an amount. And then I was told today for ph spread acid around and alkalinity in deepest part. No one ever told me that. Shouldn’t the builder have done a better job at educating us. There is so much they did not tell us and I am super frustrated.

The linked article discusses each parameter. It also discusses the chemicals used for adjustments and how to add them to your pool water.

Please do not 'spread' around acid. It is dangerous to walk around with a bottle of muriatic acid and splash it into the pool.

Reactions: splashpad
Right now your only concern should be keeping your plaster covered with water in that heat/sun, and your Free Chlorine (FC).`
PoolMath tells me that 15 ounces of Walmarts Pool Essential 10% Liquid Chlorine will raise your FC by 1ppm. Extrapolate from there if you need or just ask PoolMath.

Which Taylor kit number did you find??

We need to know written like this please:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if used

Take a look at the old classic web version of PoolMath - its easy to set up to calculate your needed amounts. Play around with it and once you learn how to take care of your pool you can move up to the cool phone app. I find this older version handy. Just make sure you fill out the pool volume and down low the source of your chlorine (bleach/liquid chlorine) and that this is a plaster pool and you want to take TFP method.

maddie

Ok, I was able to get my hands on the Taylor kit. My CYA (best I could tell, first time doing it) was around 37-40.
TC 0.5, FC 0.5
Ph 7.5
CH 190
ALK 300
Quick question about cartridge filters....how often should you clean them? I just cleaned them a couple weeks ago but the meter is running on 20. Right after cleaning it was much lower. Just wasn’t sure how the filters affected everything as well and when a good time to clean them was. Also, how long should I run my pump after adding the chlorine. I just added 2 gallons per the Pool Math app for SLAM.

With your nifty VS pump I would run it 24/7 while you're learning, BUT at a slow speed. It won't jack up your pwer usage that way, yet everything stays mixed.

Tell me about the pucks you were using.....by chance were they the Clorox XtraBlue from Costco??

maddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get some CL in your water tonight,
hen the pump pressure rises by 25% over your clean filter pressure clean the filters.

OK, that kit ends up running out of reagents quicker....keep an eye on them and reorder refills from
www.tftestkits.net

maddie
I think he said up thread he had a K1004 as well.

Next time you clean your filter put a tick mark on the gauge to indicate your clean pressure. Then you'll always know at a glance where you are at.

Time to make a run to either HEB for their basic 6% bleach (unscented, no thickeners or polymers) or Walmart for their 10% liquid chlorine found in pool section only (not laundry aisle).

You need that NOW or risk an algae outbreak.....kinda like zombies but smaller ;)

Thank you so much for pointing out the old pool math!! I found it. This is kind of starting to make sense to me now. I went ahead and did what it said for mustard algae slam and added one more gallon for the 24 SLAM. Hope I did that right. On the cartridges I am confused. This is what mine looks like. I’ll
Attach a photo. And it’s set on schedule to run from like 7a-2p at that speed. When we turn on the fountain and bubblers I have to turn the speed to 3450 which is full speed to get the wall water features to come out right. When I cleaned the filters I could leave it on 2950 and they worked. But they only stayed like that for a couple weeks but may be from all the problems we are having? The pucks I got were these. Also attaching pic. I sure wish I would have found this sooner!
With your nifty VS pump I would run it 24/7 while you're learning, BUT at a slow speed. It won't jack up your pwer usage that way, yet everything stays mixed.

Tell me about the pucks you were using.....by chance were they the Clorox XtraBlue from Costco??

maddie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 18
Great idea on marking the thing! I already added the liquid chlorine I did 3 gallons because I think I have mustard algae and the pool
Math old school one said to SLAM with 3 gallons
Get some CL in your water tonight,

I think he said up thread he had a K1004 as well.

Next time you clean your filter put a tick mark on the gauge to indicate your clean pressure. Then you'll always know at a glance where you are at.

I’m scared to even use them with the CYA issue I had. If I do use them how should I use them in the chlorinator. I swear y’all, the pool company told us NOTHING!!! I am a quick learner but someone has to be patient enough to sit and explain. I am starting to understand that I could have gotten it under control with lots of shock when it was still at 100. But we had no idea what CYA even was or what to do.
Those tabs don’t add copper to the water, which is good.

I went to Lowe’s this morning and bought 8 gallons of the liquid chlorine. I added 3 a minute ago. So you think I should keep my pump on all the time? Or since I added the bleach an hour ago let it run until I go to bed? If I leave it on all the time what speed? Also, I don’t know how to reset the schedule it is on. It will automatically go to schedule at 7am. Just need suggestions on running pump. They scheduled it when they built the pool for 8 hours 7a-2p at the 2950 speed. We’ve just left it at that since the cleaner runs efficiently that way.
Time to make a run to either HEB for their basic 6% bleach (unscented, no thickeners or polymers) or Walmart for their 10% liquid chlorine found in pool section only (not laundry aisle).

You need that NOW or risk an algae outbreak.....kinda like zombies but smaller ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.