kateinvt

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Vermont
Hi,
I am in my second summer of pool ownership. Last summer we used Baquacil and hated it because of the stench that we could never get rid of. I am in the midst of changing to chlorine (the pool has been open for 4 weeks) and having a devil of a time. I have spent many hundreds of dollars on turbo shock, brite stix, etc, and still show barely any chlorine in water tests (.21) and high CC (1.62) I have changed the filters at least weekly, vacuumed several times a week, brushed the pool daily, rinsed the accumulated gunk off the britestix daily, etc. And still have green water.
I'm thrilled to have found this forum/website and am hopeful it will help me figure out how to turn our water clear again. So a couple question to start:
1. re: PoolMath- Tells me my SLAM Target FC is 12. But it also says my target is outside the suggested range. Should I just ignore that comment?
2. 12 means 12ppm?
I have ordered one of the test kits recommended here and will begin using that, rather than my local pool shop, as soon as it arrives.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    693.8 KB · Views: 8
Your Poolmath questions --

When you are in SLAM Process mode, ignore the 'out of range' thing. That is for maintenance mode.
FC is shown in ppm. So 12 ppm it is.

Might want to read the above while waiting.

Reactions: kateinvt
Your use of brite stix and granular shock products have actually made this more difficult for you.

To convert your pool to chlorine you just need *liquid chlorine*.....either obtained from pool stores & Walmart in the pool section or using plain, unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox brand household bleach. These products don't contain any other ingredient which makes a conversion slower.

Please read the Baqua conversion posts and directions Marty posted above. We'll answer any questions you have, or find someone who knows.

Maddie :flower:

I think Marty and Maddie have you covered.

Follow the conversation process. I agree that having now added CYA to the water through the use of solid chlorine is going to make the conversion slower.

Hi,
I am in my second summer of pool ownership. Last summer we used Baquacil and hated it because of the stench that we could never get rid of. I am in the midst of changing to chlorine (the pool has been open for 4 weeks) and having a devil of a time. I have spent many hundreds of dollars on turbo shock, brite stix, etc, and still show barely any chlorine in water tests (.21) and high CC (1.62) I have changed the filters at least weekly, vacuumed several times a week, brushed the pool daily, rinsed the accumulated gunk off the britestix daily, etc. And still have green water.
I'm thrilled to have found this forum/website and am hopeful it will help me figure out how to turn our water clear again. So a couple question to start:
1. re: PoolMath- Tells me my SLAM Target FC is 12. But it also says my target is outside the suggested range. Should I just ignore that comment?
2. 12 means 12ppm?
I have ordered one of the test kits recommended here and will begin using that, rather than my local pool shop, as soon as it arrives.
Thanks!

Can't even begin to imagine what sort of stench you were getting? Been using baquacil for probably close to 20 years and never experienced anything like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.