Help with which kit would be best?

tabitha_599

Jun 18, 2019
Tennessee
Hi! My new fiberglass pool install is under way. It's about half full with water as I type :) To start we are just doing regular chlorine but in a few weeks after concrete is poured my husband will be installing a saltwater generator. But, I need a test kit now so I can keep it pretty both now and later. I looked at the link given for the T-1000 but there are different add on options and I don't know if and what else I might need for now and after the SWG is installed. I'm hoping to buy on Amazon so I can get it quick since water is in the pool currently and I'm assuming they will hook up the pump today. I also have a Leslie's Pool not too far so if they carry something I can go pick it up. Thanks!

TF-100 ships out of NC, you will get it quickly. Get the Speed Stir and a K-1766 (salt test) while you are at it.

While your pool is filling go to Wal-Mart, Lowes/HD and get "stabilizer". You want 100% CYA, nothing "blue". Pick up a couple of gallons of bleach from the same store. Not Clorox, splashless or scented. Wal-Mart has the best, 10%.

Stay out of the pool store :)

Hi Tabitha,
I'm not one of the experts on here but I know which kit is best for me. The TF-100 has the tests needed to keep a sparkling, clean pool. It contains a Fas-dpd to test Free chlorine and Combined chlorine, a test for Alkalinity, Calcium hardness and Stabilizer/CYA test. Included is the Taylor K-1000 to test total chlorine and Ph. Get a Speedstir! It's the bomb! Also the experts say it gives a more precise reading. I agree.
I don't have a saltwater pool so I'm not sure if you need to add on a salt test. Someone will tell you.

I understand you want your kit NOW so you're thinking amazon. I've been there. I understand. However, I see you live in TN which means you would probably get your kit about as quick from
TFTestkits.net in Creedmore, NC. I always buy from them due to service & reliability. They also have sales throughout the year for refills or even whole kits.
You're going to love how beautiful your pool looks and how easy it is to keep it that way with Trouble Free Pool!
Enjoy :)
Joan

Reactions: jblizzle
Thank you! Yes I ordered the TF-100 with the speedstir and the k-1766 salt test kit as recommended above for tftestkits. I already got a shipping notification which is insane. Thank you for responding. I've got to figure this all out asap so I don't end up with a hot mess in my backyard. LOL

Hi Tabitha,
I'm not one of the experts on here but I know which kit is best for me. The TF-100 has the tests needed to keep a sparkling, clean pool. It contains a Fas-dpd to test Free chlorine and Combined chlorine, a test for Alkalinity, Calcium hardness and Stabilizer/CYA test. Included is the Taylor K-1000 to test total chlorine and Ph. Get a Speedstir! It's the bomb! Also the experts say it gives a more precise reading. I agree.
I don't have a saltwater pool so I'm not sure if you need to add on a salt test. Someone will tell you.

I understand you want your kit NOW so you're thinking amazon. I've been there. I understand. However, I see you live in TN which means you would probably get your kit about as quick from
TFTestkits.net in Creedmore, NC. I always buy from them due to service & reliability. They also have sales throughout the year for refills or even whole kits.
You're going to love how beautiful your pool looks and how easy it is to keep it that way with Trouble Free Pool!
Enjoy :)
Joan

I'm not going to dump an overwhelming amount of links on you, but here's a good place to start.

Reactions: tabitha_599
Is there a brand for the CYA or are we not allowed to say? I think I know what you mean by avoiding the "blue" one but is there another one that I should get. CYA freaks me out because the little I've been reading says don't let it get too high or you'll have to drain your pool and I can't drain a fiberglass pool. LOL

TF-100 ships out of NC, you will get it quickly. Get the Speed Stir and a K-1766 (salt test) while you are at it.

While your pool is filling go to Wal-Mart, Lowes/HD and get "stabilizer". You want 100% CYA, nothing "blue". Pick up a couple of gallons of bleach from the same store. Not Clorox, splashless or scented. Wal-Mart has the best, 10%.

Stay out of the pool store :)

Blue usually implies copper. As a rule of thumb, never get anything with "Blue" in the name.

I get the Clorox brand from Wal-Mart. Some people avoid putting anything labeled "Clorox" in their pool but I haven't had any problems with it.

Undershoot when you add it. Better to be a little under and have to add than to over shoot.

Thank you! Yes I ordered the TF-100 with the speedstir and the k-1766 salt test kit as recommended above for tftestkits. I already got a shipping notification which is insane. Thank you for responding. I've got to figure this all out asap so I don't end up with a hot mess in my backyard. LOL
Girl!!
You're going to love balancing your pool and knowing YOU have control over it.

When you get your kit you'll have to put the partitions in the case so all of your reagents will fit.
Pics below show how I have mine divided and placed in order of use from left to right and top to bottom.
The first test I do is always Chlorine. Only those reagents are scattered in my case due to fitting all others in.
Fas-dpd is little yellow round in bottom left with the CYA reagent. Reagent for Cl is yellow bottom right. Reagent for CC is top left.
All chlorine reagents have yellow label or top.
The other reagents from top left, after combined chlorine, are in order of use according to the instructions page with the kit.
It is laminated and stored inside the lid for my brain dead days that I can't remember how to test.
The Basic kit for Ph is in a small case of it's own.

I hope this helps!
Joan
IMG_8546.JPGIMG_8548.JPGIMG_8549.JPG

How much cya should I add to start? And how much liquid chlorine? Pool builder said to throw some tabs in the skinner but I know that’s a no no.

Blue usually implies copper. As a rule of thumb, never get anything with "Blue" in the name.

I get the Clorox brand from Wal-Mart. Some people avoid putting anything labeled "Clorox" in their pool but I haven't had any problems with it.

Undershoot when you add it. Better to be a little under and have to add than to over shoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If he insists on tabs they need to go in a floater, not in a skimmer. After the chemicals are all on you, run a CYA test, you might not measure anything. Then I'd add enough to hit 20, retest once the sock is dissolved. 30-40ish is a good range for non-SWCG. I still use the old web page PoolMath all the cool kids are using the app :)

I have had this taped to the inside cabinet door where I do my testing for 5 years.

If its a brand new fill, just aim for 30ppm CYA, use the sock method and squeeze regularly to dissolve faster. Make sure you maintain proper FC levels according to FC/CYA Levels. As for PH only buy muriatic acid. You have a fiberglass pool and CH is not needed unless your water bubbles.

Okay I just ran to the store and picked up some chlorine stabilizer and a few gallons of liquid chlorine. I didn’t get MA yet. So I guess I need to put 5.5 lbs of stabilizer via sock method. Should I wait for that to come up to 30 BEFORE I add liquid chlorine? Also I know my target FC is 5 so one gallon should do it right?

If its a brand new fill, just aim for 30ppm CYA, use the sock method and squeeze regularly to dissolve faster. Make sure you maintain proper FC levels according to FC/CYA Levels. As for PH only buy muriatic acid. You have a fiberglass pool and CH is not needed unless your water bubbles.

Use PoolMath to determine how much chlorine to add. Chlorine is more important than CYA, so yes put chlorine in it ASAP. Once you put the sock in, give it 10-20 minutes to soak and then go squish the sock to release it into the water. Assume once you put it in that it's there. Pool Math will tell you also how much stabilizer to add. Pool Math tells you everything calculations wise and if you subscribe you can log all your pool related activities (additions, test results, maintenance, notes, etc.) and also share them with the forum. If you hover over my screen name and click on the Pool Math button you can see how that's shared.

You can also use the browser version. It has a volume calculator in case you need to sort out your pools volume.

Tabitha, if you’re going to use MA to lower Ph when needed, I suggest you get goggles for eye protection and use a mask or covering for your nose and mouth. I wear a bandana. The label will also suggest rubber gloves.

MA is great for lowering Ph but it can etch concrete thus causing severe burns to skin and eyes. It has horribly dangerous fumes that should NOT be inhaled.

Careful as we may be while pouring, splashing can happen so please be safe. I put mine into a measuring cup first then in front of return in pool. Easier to hold and more control than a gallon jug.
Always start with about half of what Pool calc says - test in about 30 min to an hour then add more if needed.

Okay today I’ve just worried about putting in stabilizer and some liquid chlorine to get something I’m the water. I put 5.5lbs of CYA divided into two socks in the pool in front of the jets and added a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine. I bought some test strips until my Taylor kit gets here so I’ll check in the morning to see if I should add more chlorine and see what the pH is. Hopefully I’m on the right track :) Thank you so much everyone for the help. It’s not pretty yet but my kids jumped in before I started adding stuff and were having a ball.

I just saw this. I opened the strips this morning so can’t return. However, the information you all provided last night was perfect. At least according to the strip. CYA and FC were perfect this morning. How often do I need to check this for now? I know at least daily but do I need to do it more than that?

Even with the test strips for ph dont base anything on those results. If you can return the strips and buy the 2 way test drop at walmart that is way more reliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.