Help with what to buy for a Stenner Pump setup for Chlorine

PdiddyB

Feb 21, 2020
Austin, TX
Hello,
I am looking to install a Stenner Pump and need help with what to buy. I control my pool with a Raspberry Pi and have an available relay that I can run 120 from, so I will schedule it and power it using that.
I am thinking about buying this Stenner Pump here: Stenner Pump Model# 45mhp10 | eBay
Looks like it is just the pump. It will be mounted under an overhang.
I saw this tank mentioned in a thread for use outdoors so I was going to get it: Plastic Drum - 15 Gallon, Closed Top, Blue S-17007 - Uline
I think I would need to vent it. Does that mean just drilling a hole in the top of it?
Do I have to buy special Stenner tubing? Should I get this tubing here: Stenner Pump 1/4" x 20' Black Tubing - AK4002B | eBay
Looks like the tubing connects to the pump and injector by the nuts screwing down on ferrules over the tubing like these Stenner Pump Ferrule 1/4" - MCAK200 (pk of 24) | eBay ?
For injecting into my return line, I was going to tap a 90. I am guessing the piece I screw into that elbow is this injection check valve: Stenner Pump - UCDBINJ - Injection Check Valve 1/4" | eBay I read to do the tap I use a 7/16" drill and a 1/4" x 18 NPT tap. I am guessing I can get the tap at HomeDepot.
On the line form the tank, I read I need to add a weighted strainer and drop it to about 3" from the bottom. Is this the strainer? Stenner Pump - ST114 - Weighted Suction Line Strainer 1/4" | eBay
Do I just drill a hole for the line to go into the tank or how should I get the line into the tank?
Thanks in advance.
-PB
36K gal, IG plaster, 2 speed Pump, Cartridge Filter, Polaris 360, TF-100 Test Kit

Hello,
I am looking to install a Stenner Pump and need help with what to buy. I control my pool with a Raspberry Pi and have an available relay that I can run 120 from, so I will schedule it and power it using that.
I am thinking about buying this Stenner Pump here: Stenner Pump Model# 45mhp10 | eBay
Looks like it is just the pump. It will be mounted under an overhang.
I saw this tank mentioned in a thread for use outdoors so I was going to get it: Plastic Drum - 15 Gallon, Closed Top, Blue S-17007 - Uline
I think I would need to vent it. Does that mean just drilling a hole in the top of it?
YES

Do I have to buy special Stenner tubing? Should I get this tubing here: Stenner Pump 1/4" x 20' Black Tubing - AK4002B | eBay
Looks like the tubing connects to the pump and injector by the nuts screwing down on ferrules over the tubing like these Stenner Pump Ferrule 1/4" - MCAK200 (pk of 24) | eBay ?
For injecting into my return line, I was going to tap a 90. I am guessing the piece I screw into that elbow is this injection check valve: Stenner Pump - UCDBINJ - Injection Check Valve 1/4" | eBay I read to do the tap I use a 7/16" drill and a 1/4" x 18 NPT tap. I am guessing I can get the tap at HomeDepot.
On the line form the tank, I read I need to add a weighted strainer and drop it to about 3" from the bottom. Is this the strainer? Stenner Pump - ST114 - Weighted Suction Line Strainer 1/4" | eBay
Do I just drill a hole for the line to go into the tank or how should I get the line into the tank?

The tubing, ferrules, injection valve, and weighted strainer all look like the right ones. Drill a hole in the tank just big enough to slide the tubing through. If it's tight it will hold itself in place. You can position the weighted strainer a couple of inches off the bottom of the tank.
Thanks in advance.
-PB
36K gal, IG plaster, 2 speed Pump, Cartridge Filter, Polaris 360, TF-100 Test Kit

Hey I just installed a Stenner pump today! Check out my short video. I put a lot of detail in the video description that should take help you out with what you need.

Reactions: EngineerNerd
This is nice. You will like it. Using the highest common bleach concentration (12.5%), you will have to fill the tank weekly. Your 34000 gallon pool would use 0.8 gallons per day of bleach during the summer with 3ppm/day demand. I have a 16 gallon (and use 6-7% bleach) . If I had it to do over again, I'd just use a 55 gallon barrel and not have to worry with frequent tank filling.

I'm having a problem with crystalline buildup at the end of the dispensing tube, which then blocks and causes the pump end to pop off from pressure buildup.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I read that installing the check valve at the end of the dispensing tube, typically used for 25+ PSI setups, might help. Anyone confirm?

Ive been using a Stenner with the check valve 3 years pumping 10-12% LC. I have never had any deposit buildup to the point flow is restricted. Once a season I rinse out the check valve.

Not sure that the check valve will alleviate a situation where you’re having buildup but its a cheap fix to try.

I never had any buildup that caused a problem. I do not rinse mine out and have never touched it after installation except to replace the tubing. I don't know what number pump tube you have, but you might try one that flows at a lower flow rate to minimize pressure buildup. Also be sure that you are injecting the bleach right before it returns to the pool - after all filters / heaters / restrictions. When you loosen your compression nut, cut off 1/2" of tubing and put a new ferrule on it every time. Tighten pretty tight - by hand (no tools). This might help the tube stay put.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.