Help with what and where to cut for new pump install.

Nov 2, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hey guys,

I wanted to get some input on where I should cut to remove the existing pump. I've attached some images for reference. Is there any way to retain the old pipes? I will be replacing the existing single speed with a 2-speed pump and relay kit in the control panel.

If I can't keep the plumbing, then I should cut the old pump out at the inlet and outlet and start from there right? My concern is the inlet. It looks too short to cut away. The new pump I get will have unions on it.

Thank you in advance.
Chrispump_02.jpg

Why not just replace the motor? You can get replacement two speed motor with your flange. Will need seals, possibly impeller, etc. Call Inyopools.

Take care.

Chris,

I have yet to be able to replace a pump without having to do some re-plumbing..

Pool pumps do not have a standard form factor, so each manufacturer makes them as they see fit.

From your picture, I would cut the pipe right up against the pump, leaving as much of that grey pipe as possible.

This will allow you to mount the front of the pump "about" where it is now.. You will then have to plumb the output side to fit. I can't tell where the output goes.. :confused:

If you are really lucky, it just might line up with what you have now... I have yet to be lucky.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

I have yet to be able to replace a pump without having to do some re-plumbing..

Pool pumps do not have a standard form factor, so each manufacturer makes them as they see fit.

From your picture, I would cut the pipe right up against the pump, leaving as much of that grey pipe as possible.

This will allow you to mount the front of the pump "about" where it is now.. You will then have to plumb the output side to fit. I can't tell where the output goes.. :confused:

If you are really lucky, it just might line up with what you have now... I have yet to be lucky.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

The output goes to a hose bib and then to the DE filter.

Chris

Are the grey pipes threaded into your pump? They look like to nipples. If so, cut the one at the top right next to the pump and then turn the whole pump to unscrew it out of the suction grey pipe, then measure your glue joint of whatever fitting you are using and cut the suction grey nipple to length.

So I got around to fixing my pump yesterday. I actually only changed the rear half of my old single speed to a 2-speed.

I also added a union to the discharge side aND left the suction side alone. After I completed the install it was taking in air when I turned it on. I spent the next couple hours trying to figure it out. I wrapped a plastic bag around the pipe and the air leak went away a bit. I left it alone and this morning the basket was filled with air and water below the inlet entry. I fired it up when I got home this evening and I relieved the air from the DE filter. The pump primed and all was well...no bag or anything.

Is it possible that the air just fold it's way out and I was just being impatient? There are no leaks or anything from the pipes. After about 2 hours now...no air in the basket except the normal few bubbles.

Thank you.
Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.