Help with water between liner and base

ksguy

May 26, 2016
Topeka, KS
Hi. I finished rebuilding my 16x32x48 oval a little over a month ago. I built the pool on a built-up, compacted gravel screening base. I covered the base with rigid foam insulation, and gorilla taped all of the seams. The foam coving is gorilla taped to the wall and also the foam base. Our liner is a beaded liner, hanging in a bead receiver track.

The problem we've run in to is water between the liner and the base. When we first started using it, the liner was pristine and wrinkle free. Over the course of the last month, we've noticed wrinkles in the bottom that are easy to move around, and slide on the base underneath. I'm pretty certain that water that splashes over the bead on the liner has found it's way down under the liner. Some of the receiver tracks have a gap of ~1/8" between them, and I presume it's weeping down through those to below the liner.

My problem is that the foam underneath is impermeable, and over time, the problem is only going to get worse - as it has continued to get worse over the last month. I'm super happy with the foam base, but we wouldn't have this problem with sand (or an overlap liner).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this water out? Once we remove it, I'll probably go around the track with a bead of silicon to seal it off.

Only thing I can think of at the moment is to drill a hole in the wall at the bottom. Then find something soft that you could bore into the foam coving to make a drain hole.

Or, would it be possible to seal the track everywhere but one small spot. Rig up something that you could hook a wet/dry vacuum to in the spot that has yet to be sealed and then suck the water up.

??? Bump for more suggestions.

I thought about boring a hole, but the trouble is that per the pool instructions, the base is dished out to about 1" lower in the center than at the tracks, so the water is accumulating in the middle and would not run out the edge. I have considered trying to get a small diameter tube between the wall and liner and using a vac to pull the water out, but I'm not sure how I'd get a tube down there with the weight of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.