Help with Test Results

griego

Nov 9, 2018
Miami
Hi , just bought my tf100 kit recently and did my first test. I got the below results which obviously they are off and not sure what I need to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Cl ? I get orange color which doesnt match with any of the yellow colors
Ph 7.2
FC 15
Cc 0 remains clear
Tc 15
Calcium 50 drops and is still clear, didnt turn blue. ?
TA 50
Cya 80

Tell us how you chlorinate your pool and what chemicals you use in the water.

Do you have an autofill on your pool? Test the fill water for pH, TA, and CH.

I recently bought a house with pool , and had a local pool guy. I am here now after reading on the site, to start doing my own chemicals .
He uses liquid chlorine I believe 10% and 2 tablets in the dispenser. I know I know is horrible because they release more chemicals than needed to balance, so I am here to fix it and do it myself)

No auto fill, and it rained a lot in Miami the last month. Thanks

Eli,

Please do us all a favor and report your tests in the following order...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Forget about the color match test kit for now...

Unless you have a saltwater pool, your CYA is about 40 ppm too high. The only way to reduce your CYA is to drain about half of your water..

I suggest that you do that first and then see where you are..

Are you trying to keep your pH at 7.2 or is that just were it happens to be? It is better to let it drift up to 7.6 or 7.8 for now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Eli,

Please do us all a favor and report your tests in the following order...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Forget about the color match test kit for now...

Unless you have a saltwater pool, your CYA is about 40 ppm too high. The only way to reduce your CYA is to drain about half of your water..

I suggest that you do that first and then see where you are..

Are you trying to keep your pH at 7.2 or is that just were it happens to be? It is better to let it drift up to 7.6 or 7.8 for now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim you mean to drain the oool half way and redo the tests ? It just happened by coincidence to be at 7.2. Thx

Yes, drain half the pool and fill with fresh water to lower your Cya to around 40.

Once you get get a new fill of water we can start with fresh test results and get it in shape.

Your tablets have acid in them and are lowering your pH. I suggest you stop using the tablets, check your FC daily, and add liquid chlorine as needed.

Eli,

I meant drain about half of the water in your pool and then add fresh water back up to the normal level.. If your CYA was 80, it should then be about 40 ppm, about were it should be.

My thought is that you can spend a couple of weeks getting all the chemicals in your pool balanced, but you would still need to lower your CYA.. If you are going to have to drain anyway, you should do it first so that you are not wasting your time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To drain that much it is typically best to use a sump pump and direct the effluent to your sewer cleanout.

Be aware if you have a high water table. You may not be able to drain more than a foot or so safely. Do you know what your water table level is in your area?

On the CH test, you started with a 10 ml sample of water, correct?

To drain that much it is typically best to use a sump pump and direct the effluent to your sewer cleanout.

Be aware if you have a high water table. You may not be able to drain more than a foot or so safely. Do you know what your water table level is in your area?

On the CH test, you started with a 10 ml sample of water, correct?

No I don’t know the water table, I need to do some research .

Yes I started on 10ml sample. Thx

Next time you are testing. Do the CH test again following the 'Fading endpoint' instructions in the Test Directions I linked to above. Do you have a Speedstir? It makes the CH test far easier and more accurate.

Did your pool service use lots of Cal Hypo 'shock'?

If your pool does not have a lot of shelves, etc I bet if you drained a foot or 18 inches and refilled it would drop your CYA down enough to make it manageable. Draining too much and having a high water table lends to the pool shell popping out of the ground.

Like tanning shelves, etc. If the pool is primarily open water with a typical shallow to deep end a foot or so of water is probably 20% or so.

Speedstir

That tells you your water table level. Are you on a hill? Is there a lake or river near you? Does water drain from your property easily?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.