Help with SLAM

@KristaM78 Yep that is the stuff!!!! Is what I use. Good to go!
I just ran into somebody in the store and he saw my pool noodles and my bleach and started asking me about my pool and he was having trouble with his hot tub I told him to come check out your site!

So here’s some good news. I did absolutely nothing yesterday except add a small amount of the remaining chlorine I had on hand. It stormed here and I was gone all day so I have not done any slamming since Wednesday evening. I just tested and I still have 4.5 FC AND I can see the bottom of my pool and my drains!! Just got home with a lot more bleach and back at it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So here’s some good news. I did absolutely nothing yesterday except add a small amount of the remaining chlorine I had on hand. It stormed here and I was gone all day so I have not done any slamming since Wednesday evening. I just tested and I still have 4.5 FC AND I can see the bottom of my pool and my drains!! Just got home with a lot more bleach and back at it.

Great. What is the status of your "flow" and your filters. It should, at 1400, flow. Were you able to clean the filters? or at least confirm that they are clean?

Great. What is the status of your "flow" and your filters. It should, at 1400, flow. Were you able to clean the filters? or at least confirm that they are clean?
I cannot clean the filter until this afternoon because I cannot get the lid back on myself I have to wait for my husband. My flow is good though I have it set at about 1800 in my psi is not high

Great! Remember to change the % bleach to 12.5 when you are figuring out how much LC to add. Good job on the LC. It will make you happy.

Not to get too complicated, but you will see a code that looks like image below.
  • Those first two characters indicate the year of manufacture, which in my picture is “22,” for 2022.
  • The next three characters indicate the day of the year of manufacture – in the case of the jug shown, this bleach was produced on the 098th day of (April 8).
So mine from Menards (pic) was made April 8th, 2022. Just a few weeks old.

Didn't want to confuse you going to Menards. I know there stuff in spring is always pretty good. For future reference.

Finally, if you buy LC (like this stuff), you want to get stuff no older than about 60-90 days. The concentration degrades over time. It degrades faster with higher percentage. So the takaway:
  • If you are buying bleach that is 6-8%, a datecode within 6-8 months back will still be ok.
  • If you are buying 10-12.5% liquid chlorine, you'd like the manufacture date to be 2-3 months old.
  • If the 10-12.5% stuff you are staring at on the shelf is older than 2-3 months, just know that you will not get the results that pool math tells you. i.e. you put in 12.5%, it may be after 3 months it will act like 8%.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OK I clean my filter my filter actually did not look all that dirty but I did clean it put it back in fired it back up and a lot of white stuff started coming out of my jets which is now sitting on top of my water. Wondering if it is some film from that no splash bleach. Turned my pump down to 1400 but I feel like my Jets are running in my water is not moving nothing is happening in my skimmer at 1400

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get water to move I really have to turn this up to about 1800 and all of the stick white film is now coming off the top and piling up in my skimmer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 4
It is moving at 1400. How high is your water in the skimmer door? 1/2? 3/4? Go ahead and turn pump up to 1800-2000 to get skimming action

That white stuff is enzymes from splahless. Skim what you can with net or hand. It will dissipate with time and slam.
Great job on filter!

Now I’m getting excited to see another TFP clear pool!!!

Reactions: KristaM78
What I think is happening to your "skimming action" and "flow."

Skimmers are designed to work best when your water level is 1/3 to 1/2 up the skimmer opening. If you water level is high, it will take more "suction" (higher pump rpms) to get the pull you think you want to see.

Mine did exactly the same thing this week. Was running my normal 1400, which skims fine normally, when I went out to empty the basket, I'm like huh, no skimming action and realized we had had about 2.5 inches of rain. Got out the sump pump and lowered the water level to about 1/4" below half way up the skimmer opening. Go figure, my skimming action started to work again...like really well.

Measure up from the bottom of the opening to the top. Measure up from the bottom of the opening to the water level. My guess is that with your rains, your pool level is higher than 1/2 of the opening.

Somebody want's to shorten their slam. Great Job!!!! I guess you have been working away!

You can also skip the pH testing and save your reagents. Doesn't matter and with a pH of 7, there is nothing you should do.

Somebody want's to shorten their slam. Great Job!!!! I guess you have been working away!

You can also skip the pH testing and save your reagents. Doesn't matter and with a pH of 7, there is nothing you should do.
Ha. Yep so ready to be done! Getting ready to go get my last test and calling it a night. Praying in the morning this is done! I don’t think my water level is high in fact I thought to myself today that I may be needed to add water so I will check more closely tomorrow. I’ve had the cover off all day today and it’s been sprinkling all day but if we’ve had hard rain I’ve had my cover on.

Also, I hate to close the pool with chlorine so high, but with rain coming I also hate to leave it open…..

in fact I thought to myself today that I may be needed to add water so I will check more closely tomorrow
Tape measure, total opening height & bottom of skimmer to water level. Measure both.

ooooooooooooh, TFP CLEAR!!!! I hope you pass, but don't be disappointed if you don't. You obviously are making progress. Also, many of us, just for insurance, and to not have to start over, extend the slam 1 day.

As of right now, you still don't pass for "clear" with floating foam in the pool.

Order
1) OCLT <= 1
2) Clear Pool
3) CC <= .5

As with the Ammonia, we don't want to do this again. Slow and steady wins the race.

Also, I hate to close the pool with chlorine so high, but with rain coming I also hate to leave it open…..
What do you mean "close the pool?" Do you have an auto cover or a solar cover? If auto, does it touch the pool?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I have an auto cover. It does not touch the pool. Maybe with rain on it. I often wonder about the under side of it 😬

And I’ll measure tomorrow…. And I won’t give up too early. I will see it through. It’s freezing here. Not like we’re going swimming. Maybe next week!

I have an auto cover. It does not touch the pool. Maybe with rain on it. I often wonder about the under side of it 😬
Cover it. Won't make a difference either way (you are at 12ppm chlorine lol). Is the Pontiac High School Year Book still called "The Pontio" (that's what it was called in the 1930's)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.