Help With SLAM Please!

Your CYA needs to be a rock solid 30 minimum, even 40 is fine. Then be sure to keep the FC elevated. It's falling much too low and will allow algae to creep into the water. Always refer to the FC/CYA Levels. Is Clorox the only brand of bleach you have available? The Clorox brand has fabric polymers which can disrupt good pool chemistry. Just about any other generic bleach or liquid chlorine will do. But you must keep it higher.
Good to know - I went out and added 2 lbs of conditioner in a sock that I hung in front of the return jet. Yes, at this current time unfortunately Clorox is the only brand of bleach available. Went to Menards the other day to grab their last 3 jugs of 12.5% liquid chlorine, but on the way there, someone came in and bought them :mad: so Clorox it is for the remainder of the season since they said they are not expecting to get any more liquid chlorine in stock this year.

Clorox is the only brand of bleach available
Do you have a Walmart nearby? They have their own brand of chlorine that does not have any additives. Even grocery stores will have plain chlorine. The percentage strength should be on the bottle, but if not, just assume it is 6% and use that in Pool Math to get your volume needed to raise your FC by the amount required.

To second what Texas Spash has been hammering, I always keep my FC at the upper end of the FC/CYA scale year 'round to avoid algae outbreaks. I up my FC levels before parties and if there are multiple bathers, especially kids. Just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: huskerfan
  • Both of these ACE locations have 12.5% LC. $5.99 a gallon, but available...
  • Lincoln - 2.7 miles
    Westlake Ace Hardware
    3800 Old Cheney Rd Ste B
    Lincoln, NE 68516
    (402) 421-1912

• Crete - 19.7 miles
    Crete Ace Hardware
    1025 Main Ave
    Crete, NE 68333
    (402) 826-3397

^^^^^. This place NEVER fails to amaze me with local info for the OP. Today it’s @PoolStored. Next month it will be Huskers telling someone else that XXX store on 3rd street has the return fittings he needs.

Awesome job as always team !!!

Ok guys, after adding the 2 lbs of conditioner in the sock, tested my CYA 2 days later and it was at 40. Added 80 oz of the 7.5% Clorox since I then Left town for the weekend to go to the Oklahoma - Nebraska game in Norman (what a game!) Came back and tested it last night, and FC was at a 3, so it appears my FC is holding longer, which is trending in the right direction. Added 80 more oz of 7.5% Clorox last night, so I will see where I am at tonight - still targeting that 5-6 ppm FC. With the end of the pool season being here, should I add some more conditioner to get it up to between 50 and 60 ppm, or should I not worry about that until spring when I open the pool?

+1. If it’s holding good enough for the end of the season, let it ride. The demand is only going to decrease now. The key is that you keep tabs on it and *know* what it’s doing and what you need.

So keep being proactive and you’ll need less reactive. (y) :)

Just think how easy next year is gonna be now that you can spot trends a mile away. Easy peasy.

Reactions: huskerfan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.