Help With SLAM Please!

It’s one that you either have to send to an expensive lab, buy an expensive (for a this one time use) meter, or get a pretty close level from the pool store for free. Most folks go with the pool store and for once we approve that. :)

Never considered it - is that a test that comes in the TFT-100 kit I bought?
No, that would be about the only thing time we would say go to the pool store for a free test. Home testing for metals generally is not cost effective.

All blooms being different of course, usually 2 days of hitting it hard is enough to get over the hump where the FC mostly holds for 8-10 hours. You are making progress no matter what but it’s slower by less time Maintained at SLAM level in between tests.

I bet that if you stay the current course, the weekend battle will be a bit easier and hitting it every 2-3 hours on Saturday will make longer holds on Sunday. By Monday you should have shifted into the filtering out part of the battle while the FC mostly holds ok as everything is dead.

The more you do between now and then is that much less to kill on the weekend when you have more time.
Today and tomorrow i should be able to hit it almost every 3 hours during the work day. 0700, 1000, 1245, 1615. Was unable to brush it last night, but I will tonight and keep at it. I am targeting an FC of 16.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Today and tomorrow i should be able to hit it almost every 3 hours during the work day. 0700, 1000, 1245, 1615. Was unable to brush it last night, but I will tonight and keep at it. I am targeting an FC of 16
That will make a lot of headroom. Even if there’s more to be done after, that much less will need doing.

I have a sand filter, just changed the sand about a month ago, and then after the 3rd algae bloom, i deep cleaned the brand new sand by running the garden hose in it after taking the multiport valve off and got a lot of stuff out. I just looked up my most recent test results from the pool store and they did not test for any metals in the water, but they did show those as possible tests they can run. I will see how it looks in the morning after my tests and additions the rest of the day and report back.

Reactions: Newdude
You usually have to ask for the metals test. They will gladly tell you under the assumption that they can sell you all kinds of chemicals if it’s high. Whatever they recommend, tell them that as luck would have it, you have *exactly that much* of XYZ at home from the last time and you’ll be back after trying it.

*try to keep a straight face.
*laugh you keister off once you get to the car
*post up the results and we’ll help hatch a realistic plan if need be.

Reactions: huskerfan
Results since 1230 yesterday:

8/25/21 - 1615 - FC: 12 - Added 42 oz 12.5% shock
8/25/21 - 1830 - FC: 14 - CYA: 40 - Added 42 oz 12.5% shock
8/25/21 - 2030 - FC: 16
8/25/21 - 2230 - FC: 13 - Added 42 oz 12.5% shock
8/26/21 - 0700 - FC: 11 - Added 72 oz 12.5% shock

Scrubbed the pool last night as well, but still green and cloudy this morning. Hoping another day of me hitting it full time every 2-3 hours will make a lot of headway.

Attachments

• Pool 0700 Hrs 8-26-21.jpg
    Pool 0700 Hrs 8-26-21.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 9
Hoping another day of me hitting it full time every 2-3 hours will make a lot of headway
It most certainly will. Well DONE so far. If the results tomorrow or the next day aren’t entirely visible it means that the Algae was really really bad, *not* that you could have done more or the process needs to be changed.

Stay the course, You got this !!

Well, still green this morning. It appears that the FC is holding at slam level more easily though.

8/26/21 - 1000 - FC: 17
8/26/21 - 1245 - FC: 14 - Added 32 oz 12.5% shock
8/26/21 - 1615 - FC: 12 - Added 64 oz 12.5% shock
8/27/21 - 0030 - FC: 15
8/27/21 - 0700 - FC: 13 - Added 42 oz 12.5% shock

Attachments

• 8-27-21 - 0700.jpg
    8-27-21 - 0700.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8/27/21 - 1000 - FC: 13 - Added 64 oz 12.5% shock
8/27/21 - 1200 - FC: 16 - Added 64 oz 12.5% shock

Am I still just keeping at this guys? Pool still looks green and cloudy. Maybe I just need to be patient? I know my last reading over lunch was at target shock value, but I won't be home until 1630, so I added more shock to hopefully bump it up and then not have it drift back down below 16.

Ok I will take a sample in to get tested for metals after work today. I am torn because I am supposed to head 2 hours back to my parents place for my dad's 60th birthday this weekend, but I don't know what to do about the pool. I could have one of my roommates test and add shock as needed every 3 hours this weekend, but then they would have to vacuum the dead algae if it clears up while I am gone, right?

but then they would have to vacuum the dead algae if it clears up while I am gone, right?
That can wait. Dead algae is dead. It will not yield to a clear pool, but as soon as you can vac it up, you should be able to move to completion.

Does your home have iron staining problems on plumbing fixtures? Do you have a whole house water softener? Have you every used copper containing algaecide or other products?

That can wait. Dead algae is dead. It will not yield to a clear pool, but as soon as you can vac it up, you should be able to move to completion.

Does your home have iron staining problems on plumbing fixtures? Do you have a whole house water softener? Have you every used copper containing algaecide or other products?
No, no iron staining problems on plumbing fixtures, and no water softener. I have used Bioguard Banish, Bioguard Back Up 2, and Bioguard Power Floc. I know I used the Banish this summer and that has copper in it, so maybe that's my issue?

How much of the copper products did you use? If the green is from copper, you need to drain the bulk of the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.