Help With Sand/Dirt Coming Back Into Pool

Hey guys - reviving this old thread because I'm hoping you can shed some light on my issue I'm currently having. Had a great summer with clear water, but over labor day weekend, i didn't realize my auto chlorine feeder valve was stuck, so my pool wasn't getting any chlorine for a few days. I didn't have a full blown algae bloom, but i noticed the water was turning a bit more aqua colored instead of being crystal clear. That's when i found out the valve had been stuck. I resorted to SLAMing the pool anyways - got the pool up above 20 ppm FC and kept it there for 5 days until it cleared up. Then vacuumed the dead algae to waste, but I'm still having some lingering dead algae. Seems like i keep having this issue, like i did last summer. I even scrubbed the entire pool and scrubbed out and around the skimmer before vacuuming to waste, but I am still getting a small accumulation of dead algae after about a week. Does this mean that I have some algae hiding somewhere? I don't have a ladder in the pool. Only thing i can think of is there are some creases in the liner on the bottom of my pool, but i would think that after scrubbing the entire pool, that would have dislodged it and i would have gotten rid of it when i vacuumed to waste. Any ideas?

You mentioned a stuck valve on a chlorine feeder. You are using a tablet feeder? If so, your CYA could be so high that your normal free CL level is inadequate to prevent algae.
In addition, a CYA reading of 55 is an oddball number for an accurate test using one of the recommended test kits. How have you been measuring your levels recently? Post up a full test result and what kit you used to get those values.

Did you pass all three criteria that mark the completion of your SLAM?
Yes, I have passed the 3 criteria

You mentioned a stuck valve on a chlorine feeder. You are using a tablet feeder? If so, your CYA could be so high that your normal free CL level is inadequate to prevent algae.
In addition, a CYA reading of 55 is an oddball number for an accurate test using one of the recommended test kits. How have you been measuring your levels recently? Post up a full test result and what kit you used to get those values.
Yes because I am gone for a handful of days over the summer, so I am unable to add liquid chlorine every day. I just use the chlorine tablets because they are easier/more convenient, but I am aware that they will slowly increase my CYA as that was what my issue was and how i found this forum and the TFP method last summer. I have been keeping track of the results on a spreadsheet for the past 3 summers. I have the TF-100 test kit

My current CYA is around 50 (last tested on 9/14)

1695734802752.png

Glad you have the good test kit. Keeping track of you tests is great. Glad you are doing that but the PoolMath app is fantastic for that. It has other useful features besides keeping track of your test results as well. I highly recommend it

Reactions: Diane e and Flboy44
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.