Help with Plumbing layout for new pool build

ncoutlaw

In The Industry
Feb 23, 2022
sacramento
Thank you in advance for any assistance. Please advises whether my plumbing layout is sound or if I may be missing something. I have designed and started building a 15x30' pool with an attached spa. The excavating is done and I am starting the plumbing. Attached are two picture with proposed plumbing layout, taken from the deep-end side of the pool. There is a trench the length of the pool from the drain in spa through the main drain and then to the equipment pad. This trench will include six 2" pvc pipes ; pool drain, skimmer, spa drain , pool return, spa return, spa blower return. The skimmer and drains are all home runs. I haven't seen plumbing laid out like this before but it occurred to me to be an efficient method unless there is some issue I am overlooking.

Welcome to TFP.

You do not want to bury the pipes under the pool floor more then necessary. That means trenching from the outside of the pool wall and running pipes in from the side to any underfloor drains.

Putting the pipes under the shell will make leak detection and repairs impossible. A future owner will need to replumb the entire pool to fix your efficient method.

I ran my plumbing along the walls until I could get it outside the pool to a trench. I probably would have preferred to have it go directly out of the pool, but it would have been extremely difficult with my frozen ground. I think at least around here that method isn't uncommon.

Here's a mostly done picture. I guess I didn't take a newer one:
1645721574107.png

I ran my plumbing along the walls until I could get it outside the pool to a trench. I probably would have preferred to have it go directly out of the pool, but it would have been extremely difficult with my frozen ground. I think at least around here that method isn't uncommon.

View attachment 392177
I don’t understand. If you can dig the hole for the pool why can’t a trench for the pipes be dug outside the pool?

The ground was too frozen. On the left side in the picture by the fence it's completely in the shade in the winter and the frost line went down 18". It was extremely difficult to dig the pool, at times it was like trying to get through cement. While it wouldn't have been impossible, it would have been extremely difficult to dig a trench on that side for the plumbing. It's fairly common to run plumbing like that out here so I felt ok with it.

Good luck if any of the glued joints pops a leak.

View attachment 392177
Awesome build and thanks for the feedback. It looks like your 6 returns for the pool are all inch and a half. I'm sure they are not all home runs. Where and how do they connect to one another. My pool is considerably smaller and will have max 4 return lines. Can the returns not be on a single line with T fittings ?

My returns are 1-1/2” and are all separate home runs. It was a little more for pipe and valves, but not much so it was worth it to me. My suction lines are all 2-1/2” and all separate home runs as well.

I friend of mine used 2” I think for his returns that teed off to the 1-1/2” return, all in a single loop, which is common too I think. But I’m not an expert.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.