Help with PH

Jun 1, 2015
Massillon, OH
I have a 16x32x52" 15,000 gallon above ground pool. Ive had it for 5 years and havent had a problem with PH before not coming up by adding a box of borox. This year the PH has been always like 6-6.2 and I cant seem to get it to come up no matter how much borox I add. Our Pool heater also started leaking from the heat exchanger so I assume the low PH ate it up. We got the new pool heater in a few months ago. Ive been adding a 4lb box of borox every 2 weeks and the PH just wont come up. We use the 3" pucks to chlorinate.

Over the last 2 days, I added 4 more 4lb boxes. Thats 16lbs in 2 days and my ph today is still 6.2 with 3 different test kits.

White bathing suits are getting green on them and i swear my kids are getting like green staining on their blonde scalps. My wife swears our daughters blonde/white hair is turning green. The pool is crystal clean in color, no algea, and we keep it at 89 temp wise. Here are my test results:

Total Hardness = less than 100
TC = 5
FC = 4
PH 6.2
Total Alkalinity = 120-140
CYA = 120

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Joe

Copper is what turns blond hair green. It either came from the heater core as you mentioned or by adding copper based algecides or Tabs/pucks with BLUE words in it. You need a full drain and refill. Start fresh. You need a properTest Kits Compared. When you say Borox, is it Boric acid or Sodium Tetraborate? Make sure you bypass your new heater for now or it will be eaten up by PH again. Stop using Tabs/pucks. Use liquid chlorine for now.

Ive been adding the 20 Mule team borax from the laundry aisle. Is that even the proper stuff to raise the PH? If so can i add another 16lbs to get the PH to come up?
I assume youre saying to drain and refill due to the copper in the water from the heat exchanger. The only chemicals ive added to the pool is the Cya, the all white pucks, and the borox. Does it hurt to just leave the copper in there from the rest of the season? I assume with the evaporating and rain it will lessen over time.

Thanks,
Joe

Your use of pucks for so long has your pH so out of whack that you're spending more on trying to fix it than just refilling it.

Your pH may be far less than 6.2 also...but since that's hard to qualify on a tester that's what you see.

You're also not removing the copper in your water which is another priority.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.