Help with new spa

tpirovol

Jun 17, 2020
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

My cousin just took over a place and it came with a hot tub. I just got a SWG pool and learning that but this is a chlorine hot tub. Some basic questions.

1) Does he need to worry about FC, ALK and PH like us?
2) How does chlorine work in a hot tub is it just pucks?
3) Since this is a cottage could he go up or leave it say for 2 weeks and not add anything and then add chemicals and go in?

This is wha they left him

Regards
T

Attachments

• IMG_7997.jpeg
    IMG_7997.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 6
1) YES!
2) Pucks contain cya (not as much as dichlor granules) and have a low ph requiring frequent adjustment. Floaters tend to end up at the skimmer, feeding high concentrations into the pump and heater that can damage the equipment. Skimmer feeders are even worse. I would recommend liquid after each use.
3) Use the floater (tied off away from the skimmer) when not there.
I personally am a fan of ozonators and mineral purifiers. Many here do not like them, but I find them to be very beneficial as oxidizers (ozone) and secondary sanitizers. They do not eliminate the need for chlorine.
Ozone will oxidize chloramines, and free chlorine to a degree, allowing for a high level shock after use to sanitize from heavy bather loads without waiting days for the chlorine level to come down to useable range. Mineral purifiers (silver ion) are a slow acting sanitizer that helps keep the water clean in the event of poor maintenance and lowers the necessary chlorine level significantly. It may also aid in the prevention of biofilm inside the pipes.
I am sure there will be some naysayers posting links that say they are not needed (there always are) but this is my personal opinion and what I use in my own spa and have recommended to my customers for many years. I suggest you do your own research on both and draw your own conclusions. There are many articles from reputable sources available online regarding both.

I am not a fan, especially in a spa. But there are some available that just go over the side and plug in. I would not use ozone with a swg as they work toward opposing ends. Ozone gets rid of chlorine and the swg creates it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.